Search the forum,

Discuss The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

what can i say wing, if topic of the month was still going, you'd have just got my vote!!

wing, what do you think about the sigma 6, 35cm?? web link page 3 i think

cheers
ed :thumbsup:

They're a decent cutter, had a couple of them in my last squad. Pretty basic in the line, but still do the job equally as well. Plus is that you've no worrys that the bar is calibrated straight, as long as it's clean you'll know you've got a true straight bar.

Regarding the 63cm versus the 75cm, I feel that the 63cm is a bit redundant. It's a bit big for lugging about to do 12x12 and if you have to do 600x600 on the diagonal they'll not fit. Best of both worlds is the 51cm for everyday bathrooms stuff under 600, then the 75cm for all your 300x600 etc. Means then you'll not get caught out when you come to do a 600x600 off the square job.

A

Aston

nice one wing, really appreciate the detailed response mate :thumbsup:
i have gathered my evidence and the jury will adjourn till monday to give its verdict lol

ed ...

P

Peter

Have you used one yet? Would do no harm to give it a go first incase you don't get on with it.

Strange the way the Sigma's are big on our wee island and in Scotland but don't really have a presence in England.

Must get a video of mine cutting 10mm off grade 5 porcelain some day. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hillhead

Iv been cutting 600x600 polished porcelain for the last few days on the diagonal in a real awkward shaped hallway! My 3d has sliced some funny angles to perfection.the diagonal cut is around 800mm on the 600s.my poor old 3b has no use on this house im in.travertine next in there.

P

Peter

Tried to make a video of some very hard commercial shopfront ceramic I had in the garage but due to nowhere to prop the camera and a cheap phone it didn't turn out too well.

Will try and get a better one some day I'm using something a bit more exotic and get hold of a better camera.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9c0s4cb-4Y"]YouTube - Sigma 4a[/ame]

Proper video, with click klok handle, but works on pull cutters:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkgOLlIhfyc&feature=related[/ame]

A

Aston

nice one wing!!
they do loook great and cut quick!!,
one issue tho.....if i cut a tile with either a tx or ts, then i would be fractionally slower in the overall scribe and snap but because the sigma and monti users have to lean over to check they are on the line, then the time aspect swings back in favour of the rubi due to visibility so they are much of a muchness in that respect..

what i will say is, i totally accept that if you can get used to the restricted view and pulling technique, then they are the perfect all round cutter along with monti....cant say fairer than that...

just because i think sigma and monti are great it doesnt mean i dont rate rubi , far from it...id rather have a right hand drive porsche, than a left hand drive ferrair if you get my analogy..

D

david campbell

Why do you want to change over dave.?

sorry been busy for the last few days dave,was using jamie's(kilty) on a job last year for a few cuts and it's just a nagging thought that won't go away,i really liked how easy it felt,so i've finally decided to go or a change

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The sigma is a great cutter, been using them for over 18 years now , but over a year ago i got a monty mp750 and i gotta say i love it... its relatively light and because its a push the measuring bar is at the top and less obtrusive than the siggy, but they are both great machines .. :thumbsup:

A

Aston

hi wingn
i'm sticking with rubi mate :thumbsup: i just like them.
as i said i used monti for 2 yrs but when i used rubi again it felt right and i wont be changing now..

you sigma & monti boys have the best cutters in some ways. if you can get on with them, then there the dogs but if you like a clear view then it has to be rubi for me :thumbsup:

thanks to everyone who gave their views, really appreciate the feedback!
ed

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi wingn
i'm sticking with rubi mate :thumbsup: i just like them.
as i said i used monti for 2 yrs but when i used rubi again it felt right and i wont be changing now..

you sigma & monti boys have the best cutters in some ways. if you can get on with them, then there the dogs but if you like a clear view then it has to be rubi for me :thumbsup:

thanks to everyone who gave their views, really appreciate the feedback!
ed
Stick with what works for you , i have all 3 makes of cutters so im sorted... :thumbsup:

A

Aston

so,
just to recap....

they are a bit lightweight compared to rubi
you have to bend over to use them
you aquire a bent wrist when scribing

hmmmmmm..think i'll stick with rubi....:thumbsup:

P

Peter

you aquire a bent wrist when scribing

Only if you're a big girl's blouse. :lol:

Suppose at the end of the day people will like whatever system they've learned on. If Rubi does it for you, then it makes more sense to stick with that.

F

fipple

Hi....im in the process of buying a sigma!...wat id like to know is ,and this is to those who know sigmas...are the push technica cutters a good choice?maybe a 2d3 750mm ive got a masterpiuma 52p..so im covered for 600tiles...im confused about the 3a models that look wide,,and the 2a,b,c,d that are narrow but can cut depth pf 23mm..any help would be appreciated

Reply to The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen