Discuss The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aston

hi

could all the sigma users please help me/the forum out with this little survey ..

1.why do you all rate sigma so highly???
2.what is it that really impresses you about them??
3.is there anything, if anything you could fault them on or maybe improve.
4.do they take along time to adjust to??

all views and input would be really appreciated in the interest of impartiality :thumbsup:

thanks
Ed....

D

david campbell

the only thing it annoys me about sigma's is the cutting line as you tend to have to look from an angle,but they are great once you get the hang of them and they do come in a bit cheaper than rubi,saying all that i have been looking at getting a rubi or 2 for a while now and don't think it will be long before i change over

B

brinkley

i was taught using a sigma cutter and there was also a monolit that my old boss had but just found the sigma so easy to line up and always seems to cut little bits off nicely first time i used a push cutter found i was putting too much pressure on it when scoring tiles so i have decided to use only pull cutters only my opinion but sigma is the one for me .

G

Gazzer

hi

could all the sigma users please help me/the forum out with this little survey ..

1.why do you all rate sigma so highly???
Its a simple design, Its very sturdy, its a great workhorse.
2.what is it that really impresses you about them??
Solidly built, easy to clean after a week of abuse. Wheels are cheap and long lasting and if you are so inclined and have someone in the know, wheels can be resharpened........never done it myself though as wheels very reasonable.
3.is there anything, if anything you could fault them on or maybe improve.
i would like them to come with 2 measuring arms, the standard and a short version as sometimes the arm restrict where you place the Sigma when in use....easy enough to get a 2nd arm though.
4.do they take along time to adjust to??
It took me a whole day when i 1st bought mine in 2001 Melbourne Australia.

all views and input would be really appreciated in the interest of impartiality :thumbsup:

thanks
Ed....

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

i was taught using a sigma cutter and there was also a monolit that my old boss had but just found the sigma so easy to line up and always seems to cut little bits off nicely first time i used a push cutter found i was putting too much pressure on it when scoring tiles so i have decided to use only pull cutters only my opinion but sigma is the one for me .

Any down sides you have... what is it like on say 4 inch kitchen tiles.. does the tilting table hinder using small formats.?

D

DHTiling

So .. say a sigma that cuts 600mm tiles in length is not much good for small tile then..?

Does the bed not cope with small tiles.?

A

Aston

how are they on the wrist? they look a little awkward

how much of an issue is the obstructed view of the line?

also, does it seem strange, breaking the tile near to you as opposed to further away on push cutters?

finally, do you always have to tap the handle to break or is that just on porcelain?

M

murf

I have used sigma all my career, but as I get older I feel a push cutter might be easier on my arms, and rubi have better push cutters imo.

B

brinkley

once you get used to the cutter you know where its going to cut with the bar at the bottom wrists seem fine you can go two handed on quarrys and you can just push down without tapping on ceramics

D

DHTiling

I have used sigma all my career, but as I get older I feel a push cutter might be easier on my arms, and rubi have better push cutters imo.

mmm .. so is it hard on the arms then.. in what way please..?

M

murf

Dave, I find that when the wheel wears a little, I am inclined to put more pressure on the handle which in turn leads to more wear n tear on the wrists,arms and shoulders.

Reply to The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks