Discuss The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aston

to all sigma users...knowing what you know now and the fact that larger tiles have become more poular, then would you go for the 3b 63cm or the 3d 75cm??

i was looking at a sigma 6 (35cm fwith 45 degree angle attachment) splashbacks etc Amoroc Tools: Suppliers of Quality Tile Cutters

and either a 3b 63cm or 3d 75cm.....

what do you guys think?
whats your perfect combination??

G

Gazzer

Most of the time 63cm is fine. I dont think there is such a thing as a perfect cutter for all jobs. Mine will cut anything i use but it has downfalls because of its size in smaller bathrooms and kitchens. If i know i am doing lots of kitchens i have an option of 1, struggling with the big Sigma, 2 I have an old smaller Sigma, 3 i have a Rubi star or 4 i can borrow a TS40.

D

DHTiling

Most of the time 63cm is fine. I dont think there is such a thing as a perfect cutter for all jobs. Mine will cut anything i use but it has downfalls because of its size in smaller bathrooms and kitchens. If i know i am doing lots of kitchens i have an option of 1, struggling with the big Sigma, 2 I have an old smaller Sigma, 3 i have a Rubi star or 4 i can borrow a TS40.

In kitchens neale is this purely because you like a cutter on the worktop area..?

G

Gazzer

In kitchens neale is this purely because you like a cutter on the worktop area..?

I never put it on a worktop, i would rather use the floor or my hop up but we must have smaller kitchens down this way.

H

hillhead

to all sigma users...knowing what you know now and the fact that larger tiles have become more poular, then would you go for the 3b 63cm or the 3d 75cm??

i was looking at a sigma 6 (35cm fwith 45 degree angle attachment) splashbacks etc Amoroc Tools: Suppliers of Quality Tile Cutters

what do you guys think?
Go for the 75cm Ed,
i seen it sitting beside the 63cm on saturday in a local shop,the 75cm has a side support arm which is not on the 63! plus the extra 12" would come in handy for more room moving the tile about.i might change my 63 to a 75 sometime! or replace with a push cutter:8:

H

hillhead

just for a change Dave, i find my monty nice to use and i really like the look of the alloy rubis:thumbsup:.
i have been trained on sigmas but as long as your cutter does the job proper that all you need.
I keep an open mind on tools,had one of them dewalt lasers in my hand today too,the joiner had one,very nice and useful:thumbsup:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i have the 2 sigmas, a small one that will cut up to 37, handy for bathrooms, kitchens, floors, when using smaller tiles, you can pop it on the landing without it takeing up half the room, my big sigma will cut up to 600 tiles, i dont tend to use many tiles above this size at the moment, if i do i borrow my mates rubi or hire one and price it on the job, tiles sizes are getting larger and if i found i was getting lots of calls to use them then i would consider upgrading, till then i cant warrant forking out on a cutter just to gather dust in my garage :thumbsup::thumbsup:

P

Peter

Would be a Sigma man myself, so will have a go at your questions.

1.why do you all rate sigma so highly???
Well built, low maintainance, good all rounder.

2.what is it that really impresses you about them??
Pin point precision, it gives you plenty of feedback, always leaves clean cut edges and will cut 10mm off 600x600 porcelain til the cows come home.

3.is there anything, if anything you could fault them on or maybe improve.
Can't really think of anything to be honest. Perhaps better side supports for large format tiles, usually just use scraps built up or an old kneepad. One downside would be the large measuring bar of the 75cm cutter, awkward in confined spaces, but the bars are all interchangable so you can swap the bar with that of a smaller cutter if you have both.

4.do they take along time to adjust to??
Took me about a year of constant use to master to it's full potential, although that was when I was serving my time and didn't have any experience of cutting tiles. Should be straight forward enough a transition if you're already used to cutting tiles.

how are they on the wrist? they look a little awkward
Don't find it awkward myself, but perhaps I'm used to it.

how much of an issue is the obstructed view of the line?
Depends on how you sit. I never have an obstructed view of the line, as my cutter is usually set on the floor and then I lean to the left slightly out of habit. It's the sort of cutter that you use from one side, rather than straddling centrally like you would on a Rubi.

also, does it seem strange, breaking the tile near to you as opposed to further away on push cutters?
Was what I learnt on, I find pushing and breaking at the other side of the bench strange. The pulling motion seems more natural to me. Also feel you can get a better 'feel' of breaking the tile when it's that bit closer to you.

finally, do you always have to tap the handle to break or is that just on porcelain?
I would never tap or hit the handle for anything. My technique, not sure about anyone else but what works for me, is to put my left palm spread out roughly half way up the tile on what would be either side of the table, and with the right hand I push down steadily and firmly to break. Doesn't require a karate chop.

what do you guys think?

Don't like working with a cutter that's too big for the tile, so I have 3. 7f 37cm (Around £50), my baby Sigma, which I'd use for anything up to 8x8, then the cutter that gets most everyday use would be the 5a 51cm (£160) and then for large format I'd use the 4a 75cm (£190). I see you're looking at the new double swivel cutters, they're a very nice predictable cutter to use.
Replacement wheels are around £1.50 from my local tile shop. Haven't had to replace anything else. If you keep it well oiled and clean it well after use it'll be accurate for years, although the bars/handles do wear after 10 years or longer depending on what sort of life it's had.

Would definately recommend one, the Rubi's seem to have a lot of flaws from what I read on here and have used myself.

Another bonus is the fact that the central bar is sprung and fully adjustable as well as sprung tables, so you can raise or lower the bar to set the pressure required.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

what can i say wing, if topic of the month was still going, you'd have just got my vote!!

wing, what do you think about the sigma 6, 35cm?? web link page 3 i think

cheers
ed :thumbsup:

A

Aston

Go for the 75cm Ed,
i seen it sitting beside the 63cm on saturday in a local shop,the 75cm has a side support arm which is not on the 63! plus the extra 12" would come in handy for more room moving the tile about.i might change my 63 to a 75 sometime! or replace with a push cutter:8:

thanks for your honest opinion joe, appreciate it mate :thumbsup:

Reply to The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks