Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
hi

could all the sigma users please help me/the forum out with this little survey ..

1.why do you all rate sigma so highly???
2.what is it that really impresses you about them??
3.is there anything, if anything you could fault them on or maybe improve.
4.do they take along time to adjust to??

all views and input would be really appreciated in the interest of impartiality :thumbsup:

thanks
Ed....

OP
M

macken

i hav used a sigma for 10 years.
all size tiles 4" to 600mm. no problem.
never had problem with wrists.
view of line isnt a problem
great control for heavy or light snap on handle.
i find it hard to use other makes now that i hav always used sigma.

OP
D

DHTiling

Dave, I find that when the wheel wears a little, I am inclined to put more pressure on the handle which in turn leads to more wear n tear on the wrists,arms and shoulders.

What size sigma do you have..? and is it ok on small tiles... by this i mean do they sit on the tilting bed plates ok..?

OP
G

Gazzer

I dont get these problems. maybe because i am fairly well built. I very rarely have to shock the tile to break it.
I have used mine with 100mm tiles on numerous occassions and only have trouble with the physical size of the cutter its a bind to be carrying it from room to room all day.
I can cut quarries and snap them one handed easily.

Most people when they try my cutting make it hard because they seem to be pushing down too hard when making the scribe. You only need a gentle scribe and then this wont put pressure on your arms or wrists.

OP
M

murf

What size sigma do you have..? and is it ok on small tiles... by this i mean do they sit on the tilting bed plates ok..?
I have a 650mm and 200mm. Tile sits ok on them but they are inclined to chipping at times when snapping.

OP
M

murf

I feel it has something to do with the design of the metal plates and the bridge between them. I take the point siramic but as we get older the limbs are less supple and the slighest extra jarring can cause a lot of pain.

OP
S

Scott

I only used one for a day, huge beast it was, 900 long. Really liked it and prefered the pulling to pushing. Cut 10mm off a 660 long tile 10mm thick clean with no bevelling at all.

Looked at buying one before the Rubi but just didnt seem to be as readlily available as the Rubi, Hence i got a rubi!

OP
A

Aston

thanks for all the replies!!!

keep them coming!!!....i know dom (diamond), jay, joe (hillhead) and tommy zoom use sigma so hopefully we'll get more info soon..

OP
H

hillhead

I have sigma 10m water saw(superb beast),
sigma 3B(63cm) pull cutter
sigma 3D(93cm) pull cutter
love all three !!
I have no wrist problems yet, no real chipping problems and very clean cuts all the time from 4" splashback tiles to 80cm tiles.
very dependable cutters,wheels last a very long time too!
I have a 40cm monty push cutter which i love too but its no match for sigma,
no doubt these cutters are built to last which is rare in so many other things nowadays.

OP
D

DHTiling

I have sigma 10m water saw(superb beast),
sigma 3B(63cm) pull cutter
sigma 3D(93cm) pull cutter
love all three !!
I have no wrist problems yet, no real chipping problems and very clean cuts all the time from 4" splashback tiles to 80cm tiles.
very dependable cutters,wheels last a very long time too!
I have a 40cm monty push cutter which i love too but its no match for sigma,
no doubt these cutters are built to last which is rare in so many other things nowadays.

Joe..

Can i ask why you thought you needed the monty 40cm one... does the 3B not suffice for this..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
ive used sigmas for over 20 yrs, i have a 7F 37x37, and a 2B3 66x66, i use the 7F for 100x100 no promblems at all; i have no problems with my wrist as i find if you scibe to hard the cut will brake off without snapping down on the cutter, they last for years, the wheels are cheap and when you put a new one in it feels like a new cutter, the only down side is you dont get a nice red suitcase with it. i find they only tend to chip tiles if you try to snap them to close to the edge. :thumbsup:

OP
J

jay

used sigmas all my life of tile currently have 4 from small up to large they can be heavy but robust adjusting is easy once you learn like all tile cutters its what you get use to no wrist probs find i can cut 800x800 down to glass mosaics on large cutter you just need to adjust the height to suit a tip would be on large tiles score then place breaker in position and apply pressure to breaker and push down on one side of the tile at the same time have tried rubies just doesn't feel right or ridged enough :8:just my opinion

OP
H

hillhead

Joe..

Can i ask why you thought you needed the monty 40cm one... does the 3B not suffice for this..
off course you can ask dave.i seen the monty on website.it was a limited edition done in the ducati colours so how the hell could i resist.lol.plus extras in the box like superb grinder blades.you know what were like with tools.lol.and my 3b doesnt look good sitting on a worktop.hope that all helps.

OP
H

harry

J use the sigma 3B, which I use for cutting 100 x100 up to 600 x 600 no problem with chipping just adjust the bar to suit the tile been cut, recently showed the ladz in my local Topps store , i cut a 25mm strip of a porcelain 600 tile and then cut it half again, looked like a pair of chop sticks !! :thumbsup:

Reply to The Great Sigma Tile Cutter Survey!!! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock