Search the forum,

Discuss Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

bad workman allways blames his tools.....:lol:

JOKE....

It really started to annoy me Andy, I really wanted to like the sigma! I'll perhaps try a 60cm cutter one day but, if I'm honest, they can't do anything better than a rubi, the sliver cutting is always a stupid test and not ever a situation that occurs in real life, the rubi's can take 20mm of the side of a tile (1200 long) and I'm fine with that.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had it for about 2 months and hated it, tried a variety of tiles on it and didn't think much of it to be honest, when it cut it was a bit hit and miss, occasionally it would shatter the tile under the breaker foot. Don't get me wrong, it was a good cutter but, perfect cut after perfect cut? No chance! It has been swapped for a tx900. Maybe a 90cm cutter wasn't the best way to introduce myself to Sigma and maybe, I'll try a smaller model one day. Oh and just to add, my tx700 has only been defeated by one tile in the time I've had it, the sigma couldn't cut it either.

good job you weren't on here last night saying that Bri, think there would have been a lynch mob on the way over to Grantham!! I'd like to try one but but would want to be in the company of someone who regularly uses one as from the comments I've read over dozens of debates make me believe they are a bit quirky. I think a few tips using different tiles would be handy. On the other hand I might just stick with Rubi as they're better (joke)!!

R

Rookery

good job you weren't on here last night saying that Bri, think there would have been a lynch mob on the way over to Grantham!! I'd like to try one but but would want to be in the company of someone who regularly uses one as from the comments I've read over dozens of debates make me believe they are a bit quirky. I think a few tips using different tiles would be handy. On the other hand I might just stick with Rubi as they're better (joke)!!
I had one and try as I might, I just couldnt get on with it so it went on Ebay. This constant Sigma vs Rubi stuff is gettin on me t1tz.

S

stevenflynn

I find the video highly interesting. I do wonder do... When I need a strip of that size, I need to cut it off a complete tile. I been to a few shows and see this method, but then on the job, its simply much more awkward when its of a complete tile. I end up using a grinder. I guess both machines are high quality and although not married to either, for now my commitment is to Rubi.

S

stephenoneill

Iv used sigma when istarted out many years ago and was very happy with it .loved the breaker on the sigma still the best around imo.however 7years ago i moved to france and rubi rule here so i changed and have to say they are excellent as well /not as well built as sigma but do the job and i like the clear line of vision for cutting.but who knows when my rubi packs in i will definitly try a sigma again .possibly by renting one out for a week and see how it goes

A

Aston

this is were i am going to be tested now!!
next week ive got to buy a couple of cutters..my heart says get another ts40plus and a tx700 because i like using them but at £180 for a ts40plus and £340 it comes to £520!!

or do i go out and get another sigma 3c for £269 (possibly lower) and a 2g for £100 total cost £369 (maybe even 350)

now ive used both and i know that the sigmas are better constructed, weigh less, cheaper to buy and run BUT i prefer the rubis to use...

either way, they both do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rookery

In my opinion, you should buy whichever you're happiest using. As you are going to be using it day in day out, thats more important than the original purchase price.

Reply to Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen