Discuss Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DHTiling

ok... I have now used both,,, state why you use either machine..:thumbsup:

I used rubi for a lot of yrs, had no issues apart from play on the rails with the rubber inserts on guide runners and the marking of tiles from the TX foot..

Then i tried Sigma.. i will have a say on this further into the thread but let's see your input...

State why you use either brand plz..

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Rubi, TS40 which I wouldn't mind replacing, TS60 which hasn't seen the light of day for about 2 years and TX700 which has so far coped with everything I've thrown at it. Never tried a Sigma and to be honest I've never even worked with someone who has one but never say never. I always stick up for Rubi when a debate kicks off as that's what I've got but to be honest if I tried a Sigma and liked it the that's what will replace the TS40

J

Jeff the tiler

This chestnut again. For me Sigma larger format tiles. Rubi for smaller tiles as can't justify buying another cutter for one that still works perfectly well. When time to change will probably go Sigma or Montolit. Mosaics definately Montolit Puma, great little cutter.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've used a small 40cm Rubi, think it was a TR? Worked really well to be honest. Also used a TS600 which was hit or miss with porcelain.. And had a couple of goes on a TX900, which felt pretty solid, but i struggled to get a reliable technique to break porcelain. I own a Genesis 600, which has way too much flex in the rails, and is generally pretty poor in comparison to the Rubi, but is still not too bad for the price i guess.. Hope to try a Sigma in the not too distant future.

W

White Room

I had been using Rubi as seemed to be the only one out there at the time then started to here about Sigma while my Rubi's were struggling with some tiles, purchased one and found it a good cutter for porcelain which the TS60 was'nt able to cope with. Then needed a larger cutter and sold the TX 700n on ebay and got a fair price for it which to help pay partly for a 900 sigma which also so much lighter as well.

Will be keeping my Rubi TS40 as it was the first one I bought and used it a few weeks ago on some smaller tiles.

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
dave you have used both rubi and sigma what are the advantages /disadvantages of both brands im talking tx700 /900 standard cutters?

D

Dougs Third Go

until I've tried both I can't make an honest appraisal, the TS range from rubi were crap (apart from the ts 40), the tx range have coped with just about everything, nay, everything, that I've put through them, the TXN range, well, gimmicky, the longer measuring bar just gets in the way. one day I will try a sigma, if they're the equal and better than rubi tx then they'll be an awesome cutter, simple.

D

DHTiling

dave you have used both rubi and sigma what are the advantages /disadvantages of both brands im talking tx700 /900 standard cutters?

Rubi tx700 . great cutter (new2011 MODEL)... it cuts great but does struggle on rough textured G5's .. and the foot on the tx can mark light coloured matt finished tiles.. as there is no protection on the base of the foot to prevent this... the rubber inserts in the guide rail mechanism piece wears and needs replacing over time.

Sigma.. cuts smoothly . so no parts to wear and cause out of sqr cuts.. textured porcs etc , cut first time every time .. the foot on the sigma handles has rubber protection , so no marks on tiles etc and the foot spacing is closer together compared to the tx, so will cut a smaller slither from a full tile than the tx.. and i have cut granite tiles with my sigma.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
C

charlie1

The rubi tx 1200 looks like an aircraft carrier where as the sigma 3E looks like the angel of the north!

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
I have TS30 ,Star 50N plus , TX700 , TX1200N , and a dinky Sigma thing which is good for chopping quarries , don't know number of it.

Diggy

Reply to Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks