Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

so a closing cut is shortening a tile, where would this be done, the central one by the window to keep it straight all the way up?

what's header n cill?

S

Spare Tool

You started it! You finish it!
:D hahaha ok..
And slowly...top of the window is the header, bottom is the cill, move them half a tile to give you very similar cuts to ceiling and floor instead of...well what you have set out.
For the closer cut aprox twenty mill off the centre tiles below and above the window...
Ok TA's? :D

O

Old Mod

What Andy is saying is in effect, start a full tile either side of the window, remembering to allow for the reveal tile also, leaving a space in between.
Then whatever measurement you have between these two tiles, will be the size of your closing cut, remembering to allow for a joint either side of course.
Whilst in theory it's a good 'get out of jail free card' it's easier said than done. Some tiles can be extremely difficult to get an edge acceptable enough to have on show in the middle of the wall and a trial piece should be attempted first.

And obviously, you don't actually leave the space in the middle, you tile as you go, that was just a way of explaining it.

M

mp3wizard

would you still use that method looking at these to tiles at either end of the wall?
photo 1.JPG

M

mp3wizard

I'm being retarded, I understand what you mean now, it's basically what I was going to do, but doing by the window and then cutting underneath, the issue would be that by doing it that way I'd see the cuts slap bang in the middle and from experience there is slight chipping or roughness which doesn't look at good as the manufacturers machine edge cut.

O

Old Mod

With a slither in the middle? No definately not!!
Only if it's a minimal amount or if to make all 3 the same size.

O

Old Mod

I'm being retarded, I understand what you mean now, it's basically what I was going to do, but doing by the window and then cutting underneath, the issue would be that by doing it that way I'd see the cuts slap bang in the middle and from experience there is slight chipping or roughness which doesn't look at good as the manufacturers machine edge cut.
That's exactly what I said.

. Some tiles can be extremely difficult to get an edge acceptable enough to have on show in the middle of the wall and a trial piece should be attempted first.

F

Flintstone

I think we should have a show us your closing cut thread. I know there was something similar a while ago but, that was then!

Reaction score
Good thread, watched from the beginning & chipped in once or twice.

Floor looks like it'll be fine,

A few hours on a Saturday will drag the bathroom job into summer..

So how about 'putting a bit back into the community' and employ someone for the bathroom? Support local business and all that

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks