Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

Thanks, couldn't of done it without this forum, a big thankyou to all of you, especially 3 fall, local tiler, and others, I have the upmost respect for your profession, what I've lacked in skill I believe I've made up for in determination and hard work and listening to seasoned professionals.

O

Old Mod

Must say, against all the odds, you've done a really good job!
Well done indeed!
The only thing that spoils it for me is the cheat on the right hand side of the window. Run a grinder blade down those two tiles and create a false joint and grout them. It will make a huge difference.
But you've done incredibly well. :) :thumbsup:

M

Mikey B

Just seen the pictures of the completed job. Well done MP3, it looks good. Be proud of your self for what you've done as a novice. obviously all the professional tilers on here won't be able to help noticing the setting out, especially on the bathroom walls. Starting a full tile off the wall isn't everybody's cup of cup, it is a no no for me, as it results in my opinion, an unsightly cut down the opposite wall. I won't go into 'should have, could have, would have' because I don't want to detract from what is essentially a job well done.

M

mp3wizard

Thanks, there is still a lot of work going on so the tiles are dirty and I'm not able to truly appreciate what I've done but hopefully soon I will.

Yep there's no denying that some of the cuts weren't the done thing, but to be honest after spending so long on the floor I just wanted to get it done ASAP without using more tiles on the dreaded wet cutter.

It's been nice to get some positive feedback from people that have helped me along the way, I did hope to get some from some of the negative posters (I say negative as in get a tiler posts) but with the exception of timeless jon I haven't had any, I won't hold my breath!

Cheers

O

Old Mod

I won't hold my breath!
Cheers

I wouldn't take it to heart Wizard old chap, there's only one person you have to please, and that's your wife/partner! The rest is gravy. :)
But do avoid the temptation to rush the end tho, you'll do yourself an injustice. :thumbsup:

average

TF
Reaction score
What an excellent job OP. You have saved yourself a few pound and in the process, you have gained knowledge of how to tile. Yes your no pro but an outstanding job for what its worth.

Now that you did your own job, i hope you dont start undercutting the tradesmen and start pricing work. Because if you do, we'll all be round to your door with for a community beating :mad:.

Reaction score
Only just caught up with this thread. mp3wizard that's a fantastic result you achieved. I would have charged you a good few thousand quid to do that for you ;)

I appreciate the trials and tribulations in getting there, but there are a lot worse tiling jobs being done by "professional tilers" in Bath and Bristol. Well done.

average

TF
Reaction score
Must say, against all the odds, you've done a really good job!
Well done indeed!
The only thing that spoils it for me is the cheat on the right hand side of the window. Run a grinder blade down those two tiles and create a false joint and grout them. It will make a huge difference.
But you've done incredibly well. :) :thumbsup:

Just noticed that after you mentioned it. It catches my eye now and id also do something with it, either use the grinder or put new tiles in.

average

TF
Reaction score
Happy to be finished! Well almost, got a few tiles to put up next to the door frame when it's fitted, after that just the beading and finishing touches.

Why did you not bead it when tiling?

Can i ask, how much depth have you below the door when you open it inwards.

M

mp3wizard

Thanks guys,

Well I did try beading it at the time but the surface of the plasterboard wasn't even, I tried my best to even it with adhesive/tiles but still not perfect so when I put beading in it wouldn't sit flush on the tile.

Well I'm actually going to have a door fitted tomorrow, I've released the raised floor height has caused an issue, so the carpenter is planning to trim down and backfill the door hopefully. The door should open out as the bathroom is tiny.

I'll take your comments on board with the joint, will look at it soon.

M

mp3wizard

Hi chaps, long time no speak, after having all the trades in I've noticed some scratches on the floor, some tool marks and also the dreaded hairline crack on one of the tiles, it's an awkward position to replace, so I was wondering if there are any products you'd recommend to fill a crack/chip in tile?

After all the hard work I was fuming when I found out today

F

Flintstone

Good evening, is the crack on a cut tile, corner cut ? Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do about it and it will get more visable as time goes on

O

Old Mod

.... it will get more visable as time goes on

Oh you're a bundle of joy Andy! :p

To be honest, having looked again at what you've achieved, take a deep breath and change it.
You'll be much happier when you do, otherwise it'll drive you round the twist.
And no, there's no repair.

M

mp3wizard

It is a cut corner tile, how'd you guess? It wasn't you was it? :p

Is there a way to remove it easily with the tools I've got? I don't have a dremel,

O

Old Mod

It has ufh doesn't it, do you remember if there is any around or under that tile?
If there is, it just became a whole new ball game.
What about the latex build up in that area, much or not?
I don't remember, did you fit an anti fracture mat?

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks