Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

no worries, things that went wrong since last posts were; using diamond blade to cut hole in the tile for radiator, the drill was spinning round all over the place, so turned the tile upside down and drilled from the back, was easier but during the process the tile got so hot that some of the glaze burnt away around the rim, very annoying, also the hole isn't center to the pipe so got the pipe on one side of the hole and a gap around it, it was my bro that measured and did the drill out tut tut.

So plan is to buy some radiator collars I think there called, like chrome ones that go over the pipework, they are bigger and should cover up the problems I've described.

Also I left the levelling clips in the tiles, so some have been in there for 2-3 months, yesterday I got them out, initially I kicked the wedge straight on and had a hard time so I looked online and I see you need to remove them from the side, which I have now done, unfortunately there are some plastic pieces in the grout lines that haven't broken off cleanly, so i'll have to workout a way to remove those and also there is some adhesive stuck to the tiles, these were hidden by the levelling clips, didn't noticed it until I removed them, so yesterday I wrapped up a wet j cloth in 6 folds around a scrapper, after a bit of effort the adhesive came off without any scratches.

My brother has been helping me, we actually have invented a tiling bingo, where if he says certain phrases like "don't worry the grout will sort that out" I shout bingo. I have to make some fun of it otherwise I'd be going tiling crazy, for completeness of this thread I think it's important to explain all the crappy problems as although the actual finish of it is looking acceptable to me, it's certainly been a big challenge to get to this point.

I'd love to just have a few weeks off work and sort it out in one go but unfortunately it's been a few hours Saturday and Sunday if I'm lucky.

F

Flintstone

All in all it's been a good read and will certainly be benificial to others who come on here with similar projects.
Your right to be tiling around the fitted bath, you can prime the plasterboard with that stuff im sure, 3to1, although it might not be totally necessary I always do it.

M

mp3wizard

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words, I've centered the wall best I can, the walls are a bit off everywhere, the right handside of the wall by the window is about 11mm bigger than the left, the center is where the window is, so I've marked off the tile size directly beneath it, half on either side of central grout line, leaving cuts either side, am I ok with this kind of approach?

image.jpg

W

White Room

You need to centre a full tile not how you've set out as it looks like you will have slivers either side of the reveals.

S

Spare Tool

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words, I've centered the wall best I can, the walls are a bit off everywhere, the right handside of the wall by the window is about 11mm bigger than the left, the center is where the window is, so I've marked off the tile size directly beneath it, half on either side of central grout line, leaving cuts either side, am I ok with this kind of approach?

View attachment 88097
I can see a closing cut ;)

M

mp3wizard

That is one big tile I drew whitebeam, the middle line was the line of the middle of the room. Here's roughly how it would look if I laid out. I guess first question would be if the central tile which is full size is 2 cm bigger than the window line on each side, would it look weird, or would every row of tiles in the middle need to be cut to be in line with the window line.
59100-18c7127be107211f439d12b60f713af0.jpg

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks