Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would say the tiles are loss, causing excessive movement and ultimately the grout is failing.

Try 'chapping' the tile with your knuckles or a rubber hammer. If the tiles move or make a ping noise they haven't been fitted right. A few things can cause this- tiles not installed properly, plywood not fixed to the floor properly or wrong adhesive used.

Grout cracking like that after two days is bad news. Sorry

J

javeiro

I would say the tiles are loss, causing excessive movement and ultimately the grout is failing.

Try 'chapping' the tile with your knuckles or a rubber hammer. If the tiles move or make a ping noise they haven't been fitted right. A few things can cause this- tiles not installed properly, plywood not fixed to the floor properly or wrong adhesive used.

yes they do move slightly. He told me a flexible adhesive was used on the tiles

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Judging by the pictures the tiles haven't been installed correctly. The only way to stop the grout cracking is remove and replace the tiles that are loose. You could mix gt1 admix through the grout and reapply the grout but you will have problems with it in the future.

J

javeiro

Thanks for the replies. The floor is sloped slightly but he put the tiles on anyway. One has cracked. I have just hoovered the floor and the grout has been cured out of the gaps with little effort. See photo. He is coming tommorow. What do I tell this incompetent buffoon. ?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

O

One Day

Pull a loose tile up and let's see a photo of the back of the tile and the floor where it was lifted from? Pretty sure I can guess what you'll find. If you simply let him regroup it tomorrow, then it'll be a total waste of time.

J

javeiro

Pull a loose tile up and let's see a photo of the back of the tile and the floor where it was lifted from? Pretty sure I can guess what you'll find. If you simply let him regroup it tomorrow, then it'll be a total waste of time.
Your wish is my command. Here are some photos of under the tile. The water is because I wet the floor to clean it.

IMG_4149.JPG IMG_4150.JPG IMG_4151.JPG

M

Meddler

I didn’t realise that this new self levelling material (for those difficult tiling jobs !!) had reached the market yet. Your guy is using the latest technology.

J

javeiro

Why were they so easy to rip up? Shouldn't that adhesive (concrete) have set? Or it it usually normal to be able to rip up a tile?

O

On one

The adhesive has set,it just hasn't bonded to your floor substrate......whatever that may be

J

javeiro

The adhesive has set,it just hasn't bonded to your floor substrate......whatever that may be
Thanks for the reply. I believe it is wood. Appreciate all the replies I'm learning more and more about this profession.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That tile is from Turkey....that's your problem...well at least for poor joints, that stuff is never square, but as said already, sorry for your troubles but this job needs to be redone by a professional tiler. It doesn't meet coverage standards, even here in America, and we are new to this relatively speaking, so probably doesn't meet yours either.

Reply to Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks