Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Christ!

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Very true there!!! My dad agreed to have the bathroom done by him as he was recommended by another relative, personally I would have used a dedicated SKILLED tiler, not a painter and decorator. He has just done the floor, Ill put a picture up for you to see. This just keeps getting more hilariously bad !!!! Look at this!!!

View attachment 78447 View attachment 78448

What you really need to do is take the tiling tools away from him and give him a paint brush. Judging by these pics, I would personally recommend stripping the lot and starting again. There is to much wrong with this job to fix.

J

javeiro

Look at this finishing around the window and corner of ceiling.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

M

Meddler

Look at this finishing around the window and corner of ceiling.

View attachment 78613 View attachment 78614

I’m coming in a bit late to this thread but this week has certainly has highlighted the bodgit, fleecum & run brigade.

As with any job (as an experienced tiler or not) its taking the time to appreciate how the job will turn out and the likely problems before starting. The temptation for a lot of people is to just get stuck in and (try to) sort out the problems at the end. A bit of effort with the planning, taking time and pride of workmanship is key. The advantage of an experienced tiler working full time (or any other skilled tradesman) is that he has encountered most problems already and is immediately aware of the pitfalls – unfortunately they also know how to cut corners which can also detract from the overall appearance of the finished job.

I’m not a pro tiler but do small tiling jobs, generally where these are part of a project, and would be horrified if my jobs ended up like those exposed by Javeiro or Tianqiang Situ. If you employ a skilled tradesman at a reasonable rate you are right to expect a reasonable outcome. If you are not happy then don’t pay and for a real mess that you cant live with you should be entitled to the materials and the cost of reinstatement. However, unless your tradesman recognises the problem and agrees to rectify the work himself the courts will be the only way to get full recompense – but easier said than done. Just keep a good record of both his workmanship and conversations / agreements in case he tries to recover his costs from you.

Naming and shaming is one way you can help others not fall into the same trap – ie leave reviews.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I fit bathrooms for a living which makes me a 'multi-trader'.....you can be 'more than' competent at multiple things you know!

Lakey, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I believe in being the master in 1 trade. I can do plumbing, joinery and electrical work ( obviously I get my electrician out to check and sign off ANY electrical work I carry out). This all started at the recession as I wasn't working and all my best mates were. They are joiners, sparkys, plumbers and plasterers. I don't touch gas works, not gas registered. But typically speaking I would rather lose money and save face than try and do another trade on a customers house.

I am not trying to say tradesman can't be multi skilled but typically plumbers are good at plumbing, tilers are good at tiling, plasterers are good at plasterering, so on and so forth. My dad is a builder he is multi skilled. Great at tiling, plastering, electrics (NICEIC registered) and plumbing but he is absolutely pish ***** at joinery work. So much so, he never touches joinery work.

The point I am making is everyone has an Achilles heel, something they aren't good at. In my opinion no one can truly be top notch in every aspect of building work.

I also do bathroom renewals. I always get other trades in. Always! Typically I carry a joiner, plumber (gas safe registered), plaster, electrician (NICEIC registered) and a Tiler (myself or one of my guys). In my opinion it is much better to spread yourself over 3 to 4 jobs as appose to 5-6 guys tripping over each other on the 1 job.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I fit bathrooms for a living which makes me a 'multi-trader'.....you can be 'more than' competent at multiple things you know!

Lakey, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I believe in being the master in 1 trade. I can do plumbing, joinery and electrical work ( obviously I get my electrician out to check and sign off ANY electrical work I carry out). This all started at the recession as I wasn't working and all my best mates were. They are joiners, sparkys, plumbers and plasterers. I don't touch gas works, not gas registered. But typically speaking I would rather lose money and save face than try and do another trade on a customers house.

I am not trying to say tradesman can't be multi skilled but typically plumbers are good at plumbing, tilers are good at tiling, plasterers are good at plasterering, so on and so forth. My dad is a builder he is multi skilled. Great at tiling, plastering, electrics (NICEIC registered) and plumbing but he is absolutely pish ***** at joinery work. So much so he never touches joinery work.

The point I am making is everyone has a

I

Italy

talking to honestly, I 50 years, I saw the first tile I was 10..
right now every day there are new, glues, fillers, primers, tiles of all types, that's 50 years many times I'm in trouble and I just laying tile.
Now, I wonder how one person can do an excellent job making plumber, electrician, carpenter, bricklayer, painter etc.etc.
always be a job + or - good ...... more -
This is my thinking, no offense to anyone :)

M

Meddler

Dynamictiling has hit the nail on the head. The key is knowing what you can do and not tackling jobs you cant do or are “pish *****” at. Unfortunately, many trades either dont know they are doing a ***** job or don’t care.

It’s the details that make a good job stand out. It goes without saying that a good trade works expediently but, for example, a good plumber can not only join lengths of pipe but also arranges them in a neat and methodical manner. Similarly, a good tiler avoids the unsightly corners and will look at this work and “tweak” a gap to ensure it looks right – unlike the examples illustrated this week !.

It is so easy to set up in a trade these days (being successful is a different matter) and many clients are unaware of the standards to expect. If only more customers were aware of reasonable standards and were unwilling to put up with poor workmanship it would help raise standards all round.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I actually quoted one of the bad tiling threads on the forum and left my plumbers number with the customer. ...He could of had a tiler with 34 years experience and a plumber with 40 years experience instead he's ended up with an unsatisfactory job..
I would say 99% of bad tiling is done by crossover trades.
Some trades need to realise when there out of there depth, just doing an average d.I.y job, just isn't exceptable to a paying customer.
And customers need to do more research, choose the right trade for the right job.......and don't put up with tiling that's not to a high standered ...

J

javeiro

This is what the floor tile grout looks like after 2 days. Rubs off on my finger. What's gone on here ??????

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reply to Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks