Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

javeiro

How do I go about this problem now. I have paid him upfront for the materials, do I refuse the rest of the payment? Ask him to stop immediately? Very frustrated.

Joe

TF
Reaction score
Tell him you've had a professional tiler see it and that you've been advised not to pay for it then tell him you're not happy with it and point everything out. Ask him if he'll refund the money so you can get it done properly. You have to tell him.

J

javeiro

Tell him you've had a professional tiler see it and that you've been advised not to pay for it then tell him you're not happy with it and point everything out. Ask him if he'll refund the money so you can get it done properly. You have to tell him.
Even refund the money I have given him for materials ? The work is that bad you think ?

Joe

TF
Reaction score
I'm afraid so. There's a high chance he won't refund you. But if he has any idea at all he should know his work is unacceptable. It's you who'll have to pay for the materials again. Why should you ? It's up to you obviously but I would imagine that most people would want that redone.

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Even refund the money I have given him for materials ? The work is that bad you think ?
All joking aside, I feel for you. It's very easy for everyone to say do this or do that, me included, but if you're not a confrontational person it can be very intimidating to front someone and tell them their work is so poor that you want a full refund, it can feel easier to just cut your losses and start again.
I'm not saying do that, just do what's best for you. It's just a shame you've been put in this horrible situation.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Education, education, education! What is it with our trade that so many people can't tell a good job from a bad one? Luckily this forum exists for amongst other things people can be informed exactly as to how a wall should look or how a floor should be set out etc. I go to so many jobs where the customer has done a bit of tiling or had diyer in to a job and is genuinely impressed with it whereas all I can see is mistakes. It doesn't seem to happen with other trades. If a Plumber does a bad job, he may have a leak. A dodgy painter may have runs in the gloss etc. Customers see this but so many can't spot misaligned tiles or poorly finished grout. I just don't get it. Rant over. Soz.

P

p4ulo

Whatta mess. Thing is, the walls are finished so might have to live with them, but the floor could come up fairly easily, and it looks a much worse effort than the walls. I suggest, don't pay any more, forget the parts payment that's gone I'm afraid, but I would get a pro to do the floor (with some nice tiles) and that will at least soften the impact of the walls if the floor looks nice?!

Joe

TF
Reaction score
Education, education, education! What is it with our trade that so many people can't tell a good job from a bad one? Luckily this forum exists for amongst other things people can be informed exactly as to how a wall should look or how a floor should be set out etc. I go to so many jobs where the customer has done a bit of tiling or had diyer in to a job and is genuinely impressed with it whereas all I can see is mistakes. It doesn't seem to happen with other trades. If a Plumber does a bad job, he may have a leak. A dodgy painter may have runs in the gloss etc. Customers see this but so many can't spot misaligned tiles or poorly finished grout. I just don't get it. Rant over. Soz.

I've done 3 years of an apprenticeship years ago and I don't consider myself anywhere near a pro. Before I started I thought tiling looked easy. I understand exactly what you mean and it frustrates me how many people think they can tile simply because they can stick tiles down. I see substandard tiling all of the time. I just assume the people responsible for it don't know what professional tiling is. I also think maybe it does happen with other trades but we don't notice because we do not see it. Tiling really is a skill you can only learn from being on the job with a professional for a long time.

Reply to Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks