Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Crikey that photo makes mine look appalling ! What should I say to him? Ask him to take it all down ????!!!!
That's up to you. But as for the setting out, when you tile brick bond if you centre a wall and just start tiling it's pot luck what cuts you end up with.
In this case if the centre point had been moved over a 1/4 the length of the tile you would have bigger and symmetrical cuts but on alternating rows.

J

javeiro

Annoys me how poor the finish looks and I'm not knowledgable about the trade or skilled in it, so god knows what you professionals must think. I appreciate the replies.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dan he was recommended by a friend whom he did painting and decorating for.
So you didn't check any references or anything then?

I'd say as a customer you're part to blame.

If people keep employing people who can't tile, they'll keep thinking they can tile and carry on charging for it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Deja vu Dan. Just read the same question on another post. Shame you have to keep asking it.
Javeiro this is poor quality tiling and the setting out is even worse. :(
Yeah, any my suspicions were correct I think he isn't a tiler.

J

javeiro

Thanks for the replies everyone. Confirmed my doubts. Much appreciated. Will learn for next time. Thanks again. Great forum.

O

On one

Hi Dan he was recommended by a friend whom he did painting and decorating for.
I've yet to meet a painter or decorator that can tile to a decent standard,but I've seen many that are as good as this one.....not!

J

javeiro

Luck
I've yet to meet a painter or decorator that can tile to a decent standard,but I've seen many that are as good as this one.....not!
Luckily I did not pay for this work, I am a concerned relative. Not good!!

S

StevieBoy

In answer to the question, no this sort of tiling is not acceptable.

Why oh why do people who are painters, plasterers etc, etc keep thinking they can tile like its a an unskilled profession?

Bad setting out, corners not level etc.

If your not happy with the finish, and I know for a fact that if it was mine I certainly wouldn't be - DONT PAY HIM.

Hopefully then the people who are responsible for this shoddy work will get the message.

It's just a shame, as its costly and stressful I'd imagine for the customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

javeiro

In answer to the question, no this sort of tiling is not acceotable.

Why oh why do people who are painters, plasterers etc, etc keep thinking they can tile like its a an unskilled profession?

Bad setting out, corners not level etc.

If your not happy with the finish, and I know for a fact that if it was mine I certainly wouldn't be - DONT PAY HIM.

Hopefully then the people who are responsible for this shoddy work will get the message.

It's just a shame, as its costly and stressful I'd imagine for the customer.
Very true there!!! My dad agreed to have the bathroom done by him as he was recommended by another relative, personally I would have used a dedicated SKILLED tiler, not a painter and decorator. He has just done the floor, Ill put a picture up for you to see. This just keeps getting more hilariously bad !!!! Look at this!!!

IMG_4001.JPG IMG_4003.JPG

J

javeiro

Look at this flooring he's done, I'm lost for words. I am not a professional but what do you guys think.

IMG_3999.JPG IMG_4003.JPG

Reply to Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks