Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just did some research. does look like hard board. Wow. You folks put tile on that? I mail packages with better...

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
That tile is from Turkey....that's your problem...well at least for poor joints, that stuff is never square, but as said already, sorry for your troubles but this job needs to be redone by a professional tiler. It doesn't meet coverage standards, even here in America, and we are new to this relatively speaking, so probably doesn't meet yours either.

As much as I hate the turks. Every Turkish tile I have used has been spotted on. Sizing spot on and easy to cut.

S

SJPurdy

I don't think that's hardboard in the pic. It looks like a piece of corrugated cardboard - probably a bit of the box that the tiles came in that was stuck to the back of the tile when it was placed onto the adhesive bed.

I can't see from the photo what the actual floor surface was before the adhesive was spread but the bedding of the tile is not satisfactory. The adhesive should as far as is reasonably possible be a solid bed with no voids - you should not be able to see the ribs of spread adhesive anymore, they should have compressed to give a solid bed -you should not be able to see the back of the lifted tile, it should all have been covered with adhesive.
That said I think there is a bigger problem here with eg movement/bounce in the substrate that has broken the adhesive bond and fractured the grout

J

javeiro

One of the tiles has cracked from walking on it. Grout coming out everywhere. To all you decent professional tilers I appreciate the replies on here, very educating stuff I appreciate it. Heres a video I uploaded to youtube for what it's worth. Have a good laugh :p
View: https://youtu.be/6wkA7jts6sg

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As has already been pointed there are numerous mistakes all round here. Was the adhesive used a fast set or a standard set? A standard set can be 24 hours going off, could it be that the floor was just walked on too soon and that's why the bond has broken. You also say this painter/tiler is a friend of the family,.......... still the case?!

M

Meddler

I hate to say it but it appears your chap has over-extended himself on your job. Did he also fit the shower enclosure as that doesn’t appear to have been sealed properly either.

I suspect he is a wanadoo painting and decorator (as opposed to being formally trained / self taught) as if he had worked on sites with other trades he should have had a greater awareness of the issues. It wouldn’t surprise me if he can “paint” but is clueless regarding preparation and compatibility of paints.

The guys have already given reasons for why the tiles have not stuck – and would need to inspect the floor to confirm the reasons. Nevertheless, it is inevitable that the whole floor needs to come up (don’t let him convince you otherwise) and appropriate treatment and adhesives used for whatever sub-strata you have. If he is unaware of the general issues (I expect you will now have more knowledge than he does) don’t use him anymore and get someone in that knows what he is doing.

S

SJPurdy

Was the adhesive used a fast set or a standard set? A standard set can be 24 hours going off, could it be that the floor was just walked on too soon and that's why the bond has broken.
Very good point (which I didn't think of:(). If it was slow set then not suitable for walking on after 12 hours (as stated in the video clip). The fixings was still very poor though.

J

javeiro

Thanks for replies, I agree it appears he has over extended himself. My dad paid him £1000 up front before he started for the materials. Dad member owes him £1250, but i am thinking of deducting the price of the floor from his pay. Is this the best way to go about it? Once again thanks for the help here.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Very good point (which I didn't think of:(). If it was slow set then not suitable for walking on after 12 hours (as stated in the video clip). The fixings was still very poor though.
Couldn't agree more, the whole job is a shambles. Can't help but feel sorry for the fella, sometimes being loyal to a family friend isn't the way to go. Probably thought he was doing him a favour by employing him and keeping any money within a circle of friends. Real shame.

Reply to Advice Please - Is This Tiling Acceptable? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks