Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Straight Onto This? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Researched this myself,it's egger board,I rang them,they said that u could tile onto it without the need for backer board or ditra,they said you can use a standard flexi adhesive,I mentioned to be on the safe side is it better to prime and lay ditra and they said yes,I now have got to go and have a look at the job as they have a problem with it,reading through the thread it is looking like I need to get an email to confirm this,I'm a little bit peaved as I made all the relevant calls to prevent any issues

Reaction score
On the topic of the Quartz tiles I've done two Quartz jobs recently on the first one the tiles and adhesives were already on site I layed with a s1 adhesive,looking back I had no problems with that job,they weren't a cheap Quartz which I think as been the reason for not cupping.
On my next Quartz job they recommended using mapie granfix as its the water in s1 that can cause cupping,especially on the cheaper Quartz,so I used the mapie granfix as I don't want any call backs on my work,and all was good,at £40 a bag and bottle it better be,just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent reasonable supplier for my adhesives,I'm in the Hertfordshire area.

W

White Room

On the topic of the Quartz tiles I've done two Quartz jobs recently on the first one the tiles and adhesives were already on site I layed with a s1 adhesive,looking back I had no problems with that job,they weren't a cheap Quartz which I think as been the reason for not cupping.
On my next Quartz job they recommended using mapie granfix as its the water in s1 that can cause cupping,especially on the cheaper Quartz,so I used the mapie granfix as I don't want any call backs on my work,and all was good,at £40 a bag and bottle it better be,just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent reasonable supplier for my adhesives,I'm in the Hertfordshire area.

You could try Apex Grange and they deliver Apex Grange Products

Just tiles in Harpenden does Tilemaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Try Tilemaster adhesives, give them a shout, if someone in the area has stock, they will let you know if not you may be lucky and get an account direct !

J

J Sid

Tilemaster S2 is there belt and braces...even Steel/Metal !!!
Just been reading the tec sheet for this S2 product, you would be advised to be completely sure of what the chipboard is before tiling onto it.
This is an extract for said sheet:

Please Note: Certain manufacturers of chipboard floorboard do not recommend their products for being tiled to directly due to the design of their particular board. If in doubt, please consult with the supplier of the board or alternatively contact our Technical Helpline on 01772 456831 for further advice.

just a shame you have to look so hard to find it, could end in tears if you don't know your wax coated from your resin coat or any other coated chip boards.
I'm sure it does stick tiles to chip board but are you able to screw down with close enough centres? Has the board been sealed on under side and edges to help with moisture ingress?
Surly easier to overboard or to replace with, say 22mm hardier boards than take the risk !

Reaction score
Just been reading the tec sheet for this S2 product, you would be advised to be completely sure of what the chipboard is before tiling onto it.
This is an extract for said sheet:

Please Note: Certain manufacturers of chipboard floorboard do not recommend their products for being tiled to directly due to the design of their particular board. If in doubt, please consult with the supplier of the board or alternatively contact our Technical Helpline on 01772 456831 for further advice.

just a shame you have to look so hard to find it, could end in tears if you don't know your wax coated from your resin coat or any other coated chip boards.
I'm sure it does stick tiles to chip board but are you able to screw down with close enough centres? Has the board been sealed on under side and edges to help with moisture ingress?
Surly easier to overboard or to replace with, say 22mm hardier boards than take the risk !
Yes it is a shame that you need to look into all the fine print, I always use Dural matting or if in doubt use hardi backer board, I would never tile directly on timber weather it's chipboard/ waterproof / tounge and grove, plywood ...etc

M

mickp

Sounds like I opened a can of worms here. I thought I may have been asking a stupid question but now I feel less bad about being confused. I'm definitely staying away from this job though. As much as enjoy doing everything myself I think there may be too many pitfalls in this one. My wife definately wants quartz so I will be getting someone (probably from recommendation on here) to fit them. At least I have some knowledge of how it should be approached and can ensure the correct materials and techniques are employed.

One thing that has been mentioned in a couple of the replies though is 'cheap quartz' I didn't think the tiles I was planning on buying were particularly cheap but they were roughly half what porcelenosa quoted me when I bought my downstairs tiles. They do do seem to be at the cheaper end of quartz but far from the cheapest floor tiles you can get. I don't want to pay someone to fit inferior quality products as i would like to not need to replace the floor for a long time. If anyone thinks I should be looking elsewhere for the tiles please feel free to advise. I've already learnt a lot from this thread, seems a shame to stop now.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to input (even though I'm sure some of you just love to argue ;) )

Mick

Reaction score
Sounds like I opened a can of worms here. I thought I may have been asking a stupid question but now I feel less bad about being confused. I'm definitely staying away from this job though. As much as enjoy doing everything myself I think there may be too many pitfalls in this one. My wife definately wants quartz so I will be getting someone (probably from recommendation on here) to fit them. At least I have some knowledge of how it should be approached and can ensure the correct materials and techniques are employed.

One thing that has been mentioned in a couple of the replies though is 'cheap quartz' I didn't think the tiles I was planning on buying were particularly cheap but they were roughly half what porcelenosa quoted me when I bought my downstairs tiles. They do do seem to be at the cheaper end of quartz but far from the cheapest floor tiles you can get. I don't want to pay someone to fit inferior quality products as i would like to not need to replace the floor for a long time. If anyone thinks I should be looking elsewhere for the tiles please feel free to advise. I've already learnt a lot from this thread, seems a shame to stop now.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to input (even though I'm sure some of you just love to argue ;) )

Mick
All I would say is don't buy the cheapest quartz, but from a physical shop, then you have somewhere to go back etc...and ask where ever you purchase them from, are they ok for underfloor heating (even though you perhaps are not having underfloor heating) and the thickness of the quartz should be between 10-12mm in thickness

I am sure any of the professional tile fitters on this site would make a cracking job
All the best
Ps pic of some dodgy quartz
image.jpeg

M

mickp

All I would say is don't buy the cheapest quartz, but from a physical shop, then you have somewhere to go back etc...and ask where ever you purchase them from, are they ok for underfloor heating (even though you perhaps are not having underfloor heating) and the thickness of the quartz should be between 10-12mm in thickness

I am sure any of the professional tile fitters on this site would make a cracking job
All the best
Ps pic of some dodgy quartz View attachment 79710

Thanks for the advice.

The tiles I was planning on using are from Tile Mountain which is a decent size physical shop as well as an internet retailer, I think they may advertise on here. I have been to the shop mysef to pick up some adhesive and I saw the quartz tiles while I was there. They looked good but in all honesty I was more interested in the finish that any variation in thickness. I could check this if and when I go to pick up the tiles. In their description they do say that they are suitable for underfloor heating which I wont be having. That only leaves the price, they are the cheapest around. There are several user reviews on their site all praising the tiles although it is difficult to determine whether this praise is directed at the appearance of sample pieces or fitted tiles. I have written to them and asked them to clarify the recommended adhesive.

That said I would hate to have a job done that fails due to inferior quality materials as that is no good for anyone involved so if I find out anything that implys that the tiles are suspect quality I will look elsewhere.

Thanks again

M

mickp

So I asked tile mountain today about the recommended adhesive for fixing their quartz tiles. They got back to me very promptly with this reply;

"Thank you for your email.
We have had our Quartz tested by Mapei, who are the manufacture of our adhesive, and they have advised that if the tiles are being installed onto a concrete floor, with no underfloor heating, then just Keraquick is fine for installing these tiles.
If the tiles are being laid onto timber or any other substrate that could move, or being installed in conjunction with under-floor heating, we would recommend Keraquick adhesive mixed with Latex.
So, as long as the tiles are being installed onto a concrete floor, with no underfloor heating, just Keraquick, would be fine for installation. "

It is convincing enough for me. I guess the guy who is fixing them also needs to be convinced though.

Mick

M

mickp

Fair point. I am such a push over. I was thinking that I would possibly struggle to get someone who wasnt convinced to use keraquick just off that recommendation. Although I could see the logic in keraquick being used with latex as it eliminates the water. Im not very knowlegable in the ways of tile adhesives though so I wont be arguing that with anyone. I will fire off an email to mapei and see what they say. It does seem a little strange that mapei wouldnt just recommend the adhesive that they produce and specify for use with quartz tiles. Ok, looks like im not that convinced anymore.....

Reply to Tile Straight Onto This? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks