Discuss Tiling 25mm flagstone over chipboard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all.

This isn’t a sob story, just an unfortunate truth I have stretched myself to in inch of my life after my divorce to get my own place for me and the kids so truth is I’m absolutely skint so I’m going to have to try and do some of these jobs myself.

I’m learning as I go so please bare with me

I want to tile my kitchen / dining / hall with 25mm flagstones.

The floor is currently 22mm caberfloor chipboard over 400mm spaced joists.

There appears to be little movement currently on the floor, the joist spacing I feel helps with that and I’ve just boarded the loft space with the same. There doesn’t seem to me like much area for deflection with the spacing that I can see.

The flagstone supplier seemed to indicate their installers have installed it directly to chipboard using a bed of flexible adhesive and matching flexible grout.

Do I need 6mm backer board still?

Do I need Schluter decoupling membrane?

Can I use the membrane on its own without the backing board?

Happy to hear thoughts and I’ve searched but many of the posts about chipboards are over a decade old so not sure where the tech is now.

Hope to hear back.

Thanks all.

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
6mm cement board screwed down every 200mm will help stiffen it up plus tile and adhesive .
A bouncy tiled floor will be a problem
They sprout flexible but really we are aiming for as rigid as possible , using materials that potentially do flex
Loft timbers and Suspended timber floors cant really compare tbh
Depends how bad the movement is ??
Take up the 22mm boards to see what s going on ?
Are they fixed down securely to begin ?
Why is it moving ?

Reaction score
6mm cement board screwed down every 200mm will help stiffen it up plus tile and adhesive .
A bouncy tiled floor will be a problem
They sprout flexible but really we are aiming for as rigid as possible , using materials that potentially do flex
Loft timbers and Suspended timber floors cant really compare tbh
Depends how bad the movement is ??
Take up the 22mm boards to see what s going on ?
Are they fixed down securely to begin ?
Why is it moving ?
I think the movement there is because they’ve cut hatches in a few places to access the crawl space after the floor was laid during construction. It’s a new build.

Reply to Tiling 25mm flagstone over chipboard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks