Discuss Bathroom floor - plywood or floorboards in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve got an old Victoria house with 20mm first floor floorboards. They’re in quite good shape but 1-3mm gaps between some.

They’ve been pulled up for the plumber in the 1st floor bathroom, and my original plan was to remove them all and replace with 18mm WBP plywood onto the joists with noggins, and then 6mm Aquapanel, then tile onto aquapanel with 300x600mm porcelain tiles

I’ve got a shower over bath being installed

My question is:
- does this seem reasonable? If so what primer and adhesive would you recommend to seat the aquapanel?

- am I better off laying a thinner 6mm ply on the floorboards, then the 6mm aquapanel? This would obviously raise the floor more

Thanks for your time

Reaction score
Just make sure the original boards are all fixed and secure then prime, lay 6mm aquapanel on flexible adhesive with screws and washers and you'r good to go, no reason to remove the boards to put more boards down.
You could remove them and fit 22mm cement boards to the floor instead but it's overkill.

Reaction score
Just make sure the original boards are all fixed and secure then prime, lay 6mm aquapanel on flexible adhesive with screws and washers and you'r good to go, no reason to remove the boards to put more boards down.
You could remove them and fit 22mm cement boards to the floor instead but it's overkill.
Thanks for the reply.

Turns out the plumber has done bit of a hatchet job with the boards, and gaps between them are large so I’m concerned about adhesive just falling into the ceiling space, so it might be easier to remove.

what primer and flex adhesive would you recommend if I go ahead with the plywood and aquapanel?

Reply to Bathroom floor - plywood or floorboards in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks