Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Straight Onto This? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mickp

No, thank you for throwing a spanner in the works. It's far better to remove all the spanners at this stage than be trying to chisel up warped cracked tiles from a chip board floor. All the advice is very much appreciated. It's been a real eye opener.

Reaction score
So I asked tile mountain today about the recommended adhesive for fixing their quartz tiles. They got back to me very promptly with this reply;

"Thank you for your email.
We have had our Quartz tested by Mapei, who are the manufacture of our adhesive, and they have advised that if the tiles are being installed onto a concrete floor, with no underfloor heating, then just Keraquick is fine for installing these tiles.
If the tiles are being laid onto timber or any other substrate that could move, or being installed in conjunction with under-floor heating, we would recommend Keraquick adhesive mixed with Latex.
So, as long as the tiles are being installed onto a concrete floor, with no underfloor heating, just Keraquick, would be fine for installation. "

It is convincing enough for me. I guess the guy who is fixing them also needs to be convinced though.

Mick
Hi Mick
Your quartz sound fine to me, and if they have been tested, that's a bonus, as far as fixing the quartz tiles, I would go along with whoever you employ to do the job, once they have seen them, seen the job etc, ( and probably are on this Fourum site) and are happy to take on the job using what they feel confident, method of tiling etc, products they frequently use...and of course there guarantee.... You will be fine!!
All the best and enjoy your new bathroom

Reaction score
Hi Mick
Your quartz sound fine to me, and if they have been tested, that's a bonus, as far as fixing the quartz tiles, I would go along with whoever you employ to do the job, once they have seen them, seen the job etc, ( and probably are on this Fourum site) and are happy to take on the job using what they feel confident, method of tiling etc, products they frequently use...and of course there guarantee.... You will be fine!!
All the best and enjoy your new bathroom

Ps grey Quartz job I did last year using Dural Ci matting and ultimate adhesive with iron grey liquid ceramic grout
Stunning
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

J

J Sid

So I asked tile mountain today about the recommended adhesive for fixing their quartz tiles. They got back to me very promptly with this reply;

"Thank you for your email.
We have had our Quartz tested by Mapei, who are the manufacture of our adhesive, and they have advised that if the tiles are being installed onto a concrete floor, with no underfloor heating, then just Keraquick is fine for installing these tiles.
If the tiles are being laid onto timber or any other substrate that could move, or being installed in conjunction with under-floor heating, we would recommend Keraquick adhesive mixed with Latex.
So, as long as the tiles are being installed onto a concrete floor, with no underfloor heating, just Keraquick, would be fine for installation. "

It is convincing enough for me. I guess the guy who is fixing them also needs to be convinced though.

Mick
Did a job this year with these tile, Gulf Stone, if the same as you are having, very good tile. They recommended and supplied karaquick. Only problem was, written on the box of these tiles it says ' only fix using latex based adhesive ' (or words to that affect)
So what do you do?
Listen to the shops advice or listen to the tile manufacturers advice?
Me, I follow the advice of the tile manufacturer.

J

J Sid

Had a reply from Tilemaster today:

Morning Julian,

Many thanks for your enquiry into fixing materials for fixing Quartz Tiles.

There are a few manufacturers that recommend fixing these tiles with a 2 part adhesive and I think that a lot of this has been driven by Mapei’s recommendations of using their 2 part system. We have a lot of experience of Gulf Stone Tiles, we know the owners of Gulf Stone UK very well and in fact we were their sole supplier of adhesive for many years. We have also been involved in many projects where these tiles have been fixed.

Our experience tells us that the issues and failures associated with this type of resin agglomerated tile are largely down to moisture being prevalent below the tile, either within the adhesive or within the substrate. Moisture can cause these tiles to mis-shape and “dish” in that the corners of the tiles can curl. We have seen that the moisture within the tile adhesive can cause this, in particular when standard setting adhesives are used, because the moisture is prevalent within the adhesive for much longer than a rapid setting adhesive.

The ways to avoid this happening are to use adhesives with a low water addition and also to use adhesives with high initial bond strengths.

Our Ultimate adhesive has a very low water addition level, approximately 1 litre per 20kg lower than our other adhesives, this relates to around 20 – 25% less water. The initial bond strengths of Ultimate are also extremely good, the bond strength is considerably higher than the other adhesives in our range. For these reasons, we recommend Ultimate adhesive as our chosen adhesive for fixing resin agglomerated tiles and guarantee the product for this use. Ultimate has been our recommended adhesive for this type of tile for several years, many projects have been completed successfully using this system.

We have a 2 part adhesive within our range but do not believe that it is necessary to use a 2 part system when we have a product such as Ultimate adhesive in our range.

Just as a final note Julian, it is important that the Quartz tiles are back buttered as well as serrating the substrate in the normal way.

I hope this information assists and answers your questions,

Yours

Glynn Griffin
Technical Support
Tilemaster Adhesives Limited
Unit 4 Tomlinson Point
Tomlinson Road
Leyland, PR25 2DY
Tel: 01772 456831
07792 510804

H

hmtiling

Had a reply from Tilemaster today:

Morning Julian,

Many thanks for your enquiry into fixing materials for fixing Quartz Tiles.

There are a few manufacturers that recommend fixing these tiles with a 2 part adhesive and I think that a lot of this has been driven by Mapei’s recommendations of using their 2 part system. We have a lot of experience of Gulf Stone Tiles, we know the owners of Gulf Stone UK very well and in fact we were their sole supplier of adhesive for many years. We have also been involved in many projects where these tiles have been fixed.

Our experience tells us that the issues and failures associated with this type of resin agglomerated tile are largely down to moisture being prevalent below the tile, either within the adhesive or within the substrate. Moisture can cause these tiles to mis-shape and “dish” in that the corners of the tiles can curl. We have seen that the moisture within the tile adhesive can cause this, in particular when standard setting adhesives are used, because the moisture is prevalent within the adhesive for much longer than a rapid setting adhesive.

The ways to avoid this happening are to use adhesives with a low water addition and also to use adhesives with high initial bond strengths.

Our Ultimate adhesive has a very low water addition level, approximately 1 litre per 20kg lower than our other adhesives, this relates to around 20 – 25% less water. The initial bond strengths of Ultimate are also extremely good, the bond strength is considerably higher than the other adhesives in our range. For these reasons, we recommend Ultimate adhesive as our chosen adhesive for fixing resin agglomerated tiles and guarantee the product for this use. Ultimate has been our recommended adhesive for this type of tile for several years, many projects have been completed successfully using this system.

We have a 2 part adhesive within our range but do not believe that it is necessary to use a 2 part system when we have a product such as Ultimate adhesive in our range.

Just as a final note Julian, it is important that the Quartz tiles are back buttered as well as serrating the substrate in the normal way.

I hope this information assists and answers your questions,

Yours

Glynn Griffin
Technical Support
Tilemaster Adhesives Limited
Unit 4 Tomlinson Point
Tomlinson Road
Leyland, PR25 2DY
Tel: 01772 456831
07792 510804
Is that a guarantee?

Reply to Tile Straight Onto This? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks