Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Amir Patwa

I just phoned New Image and asked them if they could repolish this product as I've yet to come across a company that can surface grind and refinish Man made quartz with resin content back to factory finish.

They said it's highly unlikely they would be able to solve the issue with this floor. Even if they could it would probably be more economical to pull it up and start again.

Plus it's only really viable if the product is 20mm thick to start with, which it probably isn't as most of these tiles are 10mm to 12mm thick.
HAHAHAHA that's a stunner!
half knowledge is DANGEROUS, I thought this forum was for helping out and not slagging!

D

Deleted member 41954

I'd ask him if he knows how to whistle. I wouldn't get involved if I were you,if you do then quite possibly anything else that goes wrong will be your fault whether it's got anything to do with your work or not.
I know very little about tiling yet, which is why I'm here, but that is very good general advice which applies to most areas of the building trade and beyond. If you get involved they'll want you to be responsible. Just my opinion.

A

Amir Patwa

I know very little about tiling yet, which is why I'm here, but that is very good general advice which applies to most areas of the building trade and beyond. If you get involved they'll want you to be responsible. Just my opinion.
When a GP FAILS A CONSULTANT WILL RECTIFY, !

R

Rob Fisher

I lost a large job on price, the client who I've been doing other work for has asked if I can rectify the tiling that's been done as it's quite poor in places and the people who have done it have had 3 goes at putting it right. It's all been done wrong, wrong adhesive, no decoup matting, no expansion gaps and lots of lipping. All he wants is the lipping sorted, they're a Quartz tile, I personally don't want to get involved the way it's been laid as I feel with the underfloor heating they'll eventually pop and crack. But what I have said is I'll ask the question if there's a company that would be able to grind them down and repo lush them as the tiles aren't cheap, he's paid £37k on floor tiles to be laid poorly

R

Russell brown

I'll get some photos tomorrow, the guys having a nightmare. I had to cut holes in the living room ceiling today when the £8k chandelier fell on has head when the fixings failed because there's a leak from the soil pipe. I'll be working here for about 3 months solid with the work he's given me so far

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Can't be s bad thing for you. Every cloud and all that.
Just hope you don't start getting that "groundhog day" feeling!

A

Amir Patwa

A good tiler will listen to those in the trade who do work and not selling wares! And discourage those in the know how to spread knowledge!
My two pence worth of advice

A

Amir Patwa

LOL Amir just phoned me posing as a buyer of diamond pads for Klindex machines.

You are an odd chap Amir. Don't get upset when the people you recommend even say they wouldn't recommend this is attempted.
Ask for Isabella and Manuel the owner who told you that they do not carry out work for 3 rd party. You gave them the impression that you had 300 m2 for quartz tile to grind and polish! Wish you happiness

C

Concrete guy

You can't grind and re polish 10mm thick quartz tiles. I don't care who you are, and on that point New Image agree.

They didn't tell me they don't do work for a third party, they recommended that due to the nature of the product, the customer would be better off pulling it up and starting again, as even if they could grind and polish it it was unlikely they would be able to replicate the manufacturer finish. I agree with them, so does Marble Shine and so do any other professional floor re finishers that we deal with.

The OP stated there was £37,000 worth of quartz flooring to rectify. At £100 sq/m it's not unreasonable to arrive at 300+ sq/m.

Reply to Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks