Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Russell brown

Here's a few pictures of it, not the best sorry I'll have to get some more
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

C

Concrete guy

You've got a number of potential issues.

1/ The compatibility of the tile with underfloor heating, has this been confirmed with the manufacturer as much of this quartz has a habit of curling up at the edges when the heating is run?

2/ Lets assume there is a company that can grind and refinish this stuff to a decent degree, when you reduce the thickness of the tile even by 2mm or 3mm it increases the prospect of point 1 occurring.

3/ Once you start trying to rectify it becomes your problem.

So as it's only 60m2 so far, suggest they pull it up and fit it correctly. Having first checked it can be used with UFH.

R

Russell brown

You've got a number of potential issues.

1/ The compatibility of the tile with underfloor heating, has this been confirmed with the manufacturer as much of this quartz has a habit of curling up at the edges when the heating is run?

2/ Lets assume there is a company that can grind and refinish this stuff to a decent degree, when you reduce the thickness of the tile even by 2mm or 3mm it increases the prospect of point 1 occurring.

3/ Once you start trying to rectify it becomes your problem.

So as it's only 60m2 so far, suggest they pull it up and fit it correctly. Having first checked it can be used with UFH.

Couldn't get a definitive answer from the manufacturer about it being compatible just like I couldn't get a definitive answer on addy when I first enquired about it when originally quoting the job. All that was said by all parties was if a matting was used in conjunction with and expansion joint it should be ok. Bal wouldn't recommend an addy as such and the one mapie and the one the manufacturer recommended conflicted. The customer is aware that the tiles may buckle and has said if they do he'll replace them. Money isn't an issue he's extending the pool with a basement underneath which he wants to house a bowling ally, cinema and wine cellar. He also wants to put a sliding roof over the court yard and tile the lot which is roughly 500m2. I haven't a problem re ruling it I just don't want to do it the way it's been done and that's what he wants, so I was looking for a quick fix. If it isn't possible I'll have to do it rather than losing the rest of the work.

C

Concrete guy

Well with that kind of budget I'd be suggesting he replace the man made stuff with marble which wouldn't then come with a whole list of "maybes' and possiblies"

I was involved in the manufacturing of quartz for a while so I have first hand knowledge of this stuff.

Everything about this job so far screams to me that the wrong product has been selected at day one.

That said, one of the respondents to this thread says it can be re ground and re polished. I'd actually like to see that and see the finished article, then see it 12 months down the line after a number of heat cycles to see how it's all coped.

It sounds like the perfect job on which to try it.

Reply to Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks