Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Russell brown

I'm working on the job anyway, I've been on the job for a while doing various things. I've picked up four bathrooms and about 100m of tiling not to mention the rip out if it needs doing. Don't want to put someone's work right the wrong way but he's aware and knows that if the floor fails he needs to do it right. Guess who gets the work

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I sympathise Alan.. - I found myself in a similar position recently and I did the repairs under a written confirmation that there was no guarantee of long term success and pointing out the errors of the previous fitting so it would be clear the client could have no claim against me. If you are sure that you can tackle the lippage issue then have a go but if you are in any doubt then you can always walk then.

Not sure why your sympathising with me ? It's not my job, I was just giving my view.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
@Russell brown
You gotta do what you gotta do. The agreement and all terms, clauses and small print in that is between you and the client.
Me personally, I wouldn't want to touch it. I'd be peeved someone else got the work. I get the sense this nay if been a time decision rather than not putting faith in you. Someone who has already done a lot if other works for him.

The main situation you got is covering your own backside. Dave makes a very valid point regarding the quartz and UFH. You said yourself no decoupler. Whatever you do to make it look good doesn't get away from the fact it could all fail anyway.
Maybe look into it a bit more and explore options with the client. If it looks likely no amount of patch up will achieve a long term solution then he maybe more inclined to go with a full rip out.

It's a toughie, but only yourself is in the position to make the right call.

Good luck regardless

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I take it you have PI insurance that covers you for other/ previous tradesmans work/ advice?

I have PI insurance and I know that my (quite comprehensive AXA) cover wouldn't ever protect me in such a situation.
Great short term earner......yes, fraught with possible long term litigation issues.......quite likely.

Based on that, I would walk all day long.

Start from scratch is the only way IMO.

I take it you didn't read the thread ? I did say in a previous post that was what I would do, start from scrtach, nowhere did I say I would do anything else :)

A

Amir Patwa

It is very easy to rectify the problem. Grind (sand wrong terminology ) the floor , repolish and seal! A pretty good earner and the customer will be happy. We have a list of people who will be happy to do the job. Let me know the area of the country and I will put you in touch

C

Concrete guy

It is very easy to rectify the problem. Grind (sand wrong terminology ) the floor , repolish and seal! A pretty good earner and the customer will be happy. We have a list of people who will be happy to do the job. Let me know the area of the country and I will put you in touch

And these people can do this with man made quartz?

This isn't a natural stone floor.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no difference to the structure and composition between natural and man made stone
Less of the pushing of courses. While they're free, we realise you sell to these on the course and afterwards. So it's just like any other manufacturer or supplier-led course in that sense. And we don't allow the forum to be used commercially by companies who are ONLY here to gain sales.

Please ensure you read the forum rules. tilersforums.com Tiling Forum Rules

We're very relaxed with firms being on here who don't mind chipping in providing advice. But if somebody's here just to make money out of the members then they wont last.

A

Amir Patwa

Less of the pushing of courses. While they're free, we realise you sell to these on the course and afterwards. So it's just like any other manufacturer or supplier-led course in that sense. And we don't allow the forum to be used commercially by companies who are ONLY here to gain sales.

Please ensure you read the forum rules. tilersforums.com Tiling Forum Rules

We're very relaxed with firms being on here who don't mind chipping in providing advice. But if somebody's here just to make money out of the members then they wont last.
Dan this is not a selling pitch. Some one inquired if the quartz stone can be polished! I do not make Any money from the course it is free! For the benefit of the forum members

C

Concrete guy

NO PROBLEM,,! New Image Stone the LARGEST STONE FABRICATORS DO IT DAY IN DAY OUT.

I just phoned New Image and asked them if they could repolish this product as I've yet to come across a company that can surface grind and refinish Man made quartz with resin content back to factory finish.

They said it's highly unlikely they would be able to solve the issue with this floor. Even if they could it would probably be more economical to pull it up and start again.

Plus it's only really viable if the product is 20mm thick to start with, which it probably isn't as most of these tiles are 10mm to 12mm thick.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Dan this is not a selling pitch. Some one inquired if the quartz stone can be polished! I do not make Any money from the course it is free! For the benefit of the forum members
Amir,

Free courses where the supplier of the course also supplies machinery those very 'trainees' will need to use when they finish the course. We're not silly sausages on here you know :)

Less of the pushing of the courses, whether free or not, as I hate spending time moderating people aiming to make a few quid. I'd much rather spend time moderating genuine members who have posted in the wrong forum or want to upload some pictures of tiles or something.

Last chance matey that one was.

O

Old Mod

I just phoned New Image and asked them if they could repolish this product as I've yet to come across a company that can surface grind and refinish Man made quartz with resin content back to factory finish.

They said it's highly unlikely they would be able to solve the issue with this floor. Even if they could it would probably be more economical to pull it up and start again.

Plus it's only really viable if the product is 20mm thick to start with, which it probably isn't as most of these tiles are 10mm to 12mm thick.

Marble Shine are of the same opinion!

C

Concrete guy

LOL Amir just phoned me posing as a buyer of diamond pads for Klindex machines.

You are an odd chap Amir. Don't get upset when the people you recommend even say they wouldn't recommend this is attempted.

Reply to Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks