Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I lost a large job on price, the client who I've been doing other work for has asked if I can rectify the tile that's been done as it's quite poor in places and the people who have done it have had 3 goes at putting it right. It's all been done wrong, wrong https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, no decoup matting, no expansion gaps and lots of lipping. All he wants is the lipping sorted, they're a Quartz tile, I personally don't want to get involved the way it's been laid as I feel with the underfloor heating they'll eventually pop and crack. But what I have said is I'll ask the question if there's a company that would be able to grind them down and repo lush them as the tiles aren't cheap, he's paid £37k on floor tiles to be laid poorly

OP
W

WetSaw

I'd ask him if he knows how to whistle. I wouldn't get involved if I were you,if you do then quite possibly anything else that goes wrong will be your fault whether it's got anything to do with your work or not.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm surprised he even had the front to come back to you!!
I can count on one hand of a Teenage mutant ninja turtle the amount of times I've agreed to put another tilers work right.
Go with your gut mate, but me personally would be saying no. Unless it was an all up and start again job.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As per the others, I would have nothing to do with it, apart from to take it up and re-fix it properly as per your original quote, plus time etc for the rip out.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I can't believe all of you would just walk away, yes the guy's a douch for going with a muppet, but, there's chance of a) making b) chance to make money c) chance to show a proper fixing job and the brownie points, word of mouth / referrals for future business that goes with it ?

2 / peneth

OP
Q

Qwerty

I can't believe all of you would just walk away, yes the guy's a douch for going with a muppet, but, there's chance of a) making b) chance to make money c) chance to show a proper fixing job and the brownie points, word of mouth / referrals for future business that goes with it ?

2 / peneth

I take it you have PI insurance that covers you for other/ previous tradesmans work/ advice?

I have PI insurance and I know that my (quite comprehensive AXA) cover wouldn't ever protect me in such a situation.
Great short term earner......yes, fraught with possible long term litigation issues.......quite likely.

Based on that, I would walk all day long.

Start from scratch is the only way IMO.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id walk russell , he wil just keep coming back to you when everything goes boobs up mate :(
Can u not get any photos , i love looking at balls ups ;)

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
run.... quartz tiles, underfloor heating, bad quality laying in general.... you will be inheriting a huge problem

OP
W

WetSaw

As per the others, I would have nothing to do with it, apart from to take it up and re-fix it properly as per your original quote, plus time etc for the rip out.

2 / peneth

I'm a bit confused, one minute you're saying you'd have nothing to do with it then questioning why everyone else would. As you say in your first post, the only real solution is to start again but it doesn't sound like that is an option for the homeowner.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused, one minute you're saying you'd have nothing to do with it then questioning why everyone else would. As you say in your first post, the only real solution is to start again but it doesn't sound like that is an option for the homeowner.

I meant I wouldn't try and fix / repair or bodge it for him, I would however offer to start again, sorry for the confusion.

Reaction score
I meant I wouldn't try and fix / repair or bodge it for him, I would however offer to start again, sorry for the confusion.
I sympathise Alan.. - I found myself in a similar position recently and I did the repairs under a written confirmation that there was no guarantee of long term success and pointing out the errors of the previous fitting so it would be clear the client could have no claim against me. If you are sure that you can tackle the lippage issue then have a go but if you are in any doubt then you can always walk then.

OP
W

White Room

This sounds an utter nightmare if things go belly up and he will be phoning someone...that will be you.

kevsalt

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
leave it mate ...feel sorry for him in a way but he should have stopped them fixing before it got this far

Reply to Grind down tiles to get rid of lip page? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock