Search the forum,

Discuss what is the best way to cut plastic trim in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan M

i dont mind people winding each other and having banter. its actually very hard to offend me.
what really annoyed me was the lack of help. id help out any memer of any of the forums im a member of , be they new or seasoned member . im experiencing a problem with a tool and looked for help. i only said my results wernt the same as the ones he got

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
are you sure your cutting the flange off the trim and cutting it the right way up (for a window not a picture frame)..

T

The D

i dont mind people winding each other and having banter. its actually very hard to offend me.
what really annoyed me was the lack of help. id help out any memer of any of the forums im a member of , be they new or seasoned member . im experiencing a problem with a tool and looked for help. i only said my results wernt the same as the ones he got
Ok m8 this will be my last post to you as you are getting on my very last nerve. I took the time to make and upload the videos to try and help people that have a problem cutting trim. You have said at least three times that my video was dubious and you did not think the tool worked even when I told you it is me in the video and I have used the tool for years you still insulted me by saying you are a master crafts man and you can see the lack of quality. Even after that I took the time to make another video to try and help you. Now you are having a pop at me for being unhelpful so I will just keep my advice to my self.:mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JLM Tiling

Hi deano, love the banter mate! Can you tell me what make your snips are? I picked mine up as an impulse buy (used to use a block and hacksaw, hated it) and they are much better but a bit flimsy. Your's seem a bit chunkier and seem to cut a lot better.

Alan, I had the same problems originally when I first used them, taking off the back is very important to make sure there is no obstruction but so is lining them up properly in the first place which can be hard. As I said to deano maybe you've got cheap ones too that just aren't up to the job. If it is squashing then maybe try a different brand of blade that could be better quality or vary the pressures as you snip to see if that makes a difference. Not been long since I was in your shoes mucker so I know the frustration and watching a pro do it with ease probably just frustrates further! Get the vid up and I bet we'll solve your prob in seconds

A

Alan M

DSCF0908.jpg
sorry about the video. i can t get it off my phone so that is will work on the pc. i took a pic of the trim sitting flat.

deano
i never said i was a master craftsman. i didnt say your video was bad i just said i could get the same results in the air but not on a flat surface.
thanks for doing the video. it is aprieciated.i actually boughtit because of your first video
i do see a failing in this tool. (my one at least). the blade wont stay held securly. it slips up in the holder and wont cut the trim. i even put stronger bolts in it to allow it to tighten more
DSCF0920.jpg
i put a brand new stanley brand blade in there and its no diferent, . it will cut the close part of the trim ok but not at the front. i cant cut off the back part like deano does in the video.

please can we put all this aside and be friends

Attachments

• DSCF0918.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 128
J

JLM Tiling

Two things, firstly if in the picture of the tool you are holding the handles down tight then I'd loosen off the blade and resecure it but with the cutting edge touching the base plate. I had the same problem and it did make things harder until I adjusted it.
Secondly the angles just aren't right. You're either not aligning the trim in the snip correctly or as I think you mentioned earlier the trim is crushing and moving out of alignment. Like i said try differing pressure. I used to have the same problem, no idea how i got around it now though. I think your snips are the same make as mine and yes at first it seems impossible but trust me those snips will do it. Just practise mate, you'll figure it out. Good luck mucker

A

Alan M

iv tried it gently , hard soft, quick , slow etc. nothing works.
as for the blad. i loosened it , aligned it to te base , tightened it. then tried to made a cut. and its back the same again.
il stay trying for a while longer. its strainge that it wont stay there

J

JLM Tiling

You're not aligning the trim correctly mate. It's got to be spot on. If you cant do it then give up and go buy yourself a proper mitre block.

A

Alan M

iv got a miterblack that i used before getting this. still am to be honest. i thought this would be handier on site as the miterblck needs suporting and the trim can be unwealdy . if i cant get it to work il get one of those qwasangle (cant remember the name) off of trade tiler in my next order.
i held it in a tight as i could to the fence.

T

The D

it is the snips they are not the same as my ones i will give you the make of my snips tomoz

A

Alan M

thank you. they look similar. i thought they were the same

the miter block is bought. . i did have a home made one but it wasnt wide enough for some trim so i got that plastic one. strangle when the homemade one was too narrow for the trim i got similar results to the snips.

Reply to what is the best way to cut plastic trim in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen