Search the forum,

Discuss what is the best way to cut plastic trim in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Re: what is the bast way to cut plastic trim

Alan, plz don't take this the wrong way mate.... but yep.. all still DIY based trims.. and look pants within a pro installation.

A

Alan M

no offence taken. your the xpert. i know very little about tiling. iv seen a lot of pro tilers here use those ones. .

so i take it that most of you use a saw and miter box to cut the trim. im dubious about those handheld trim cutters . they look like they would squash the trim and give a poor miter joint.

T

The D

[video=youtube;l5DwsvhfmXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5DwsvhfmXk&context=C38b15fcADOEgsToPDskLW ikOknpT99d-ZX28ZTHp_[/video]

A

Alan M

thanks for the video.
it seams to cut it good enough but he didnt put the pieces flat on the table. when their flat there could be a gap. also that trim he used was very well suported by itself, not like a big quarter round trim that would have no plastic under the cut to support it.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Alan, as Dave said don't take it the wrong way but generally they do look poor.

What I find is if you cut them to about 1.2m long they don't impinge on the wheelie bin lid shutting firmly down!!!

D

DHTiling

You can dress corners up with a file to get miters spot on.. if using tile edging trims.

A

Alan M

Hi Alan, as Dave said don't take it the wrong way but generally they do look poor.

What I find is if you cut them to about 1.2m long they don't impinge on the wheelie bin lid shutting firmly down!!!

very funny.
i think i will avoid those shower trims. im still unsure if i should get one of those for the normal trim

T

The D

The trim snips are part of my tiling kit and have been for years. On plastic trim there is nothing to match them they are fast precise and clean. The trim in the vid is standard homelux trim but the snips will work on the cheapest of trims. you may need to practise with them for a bit but that is the same as any new tool.

DSCF1592.jpg DSCF1598.jpg

A

Alan M

a bit of an update.
i bought one of those trim snips from trade tiler.
im not convinced. i put a new blade in it . still wouldnt cut the trim (8 or 10mm round trim).
design allows the blade to hit the aluminium casting bluntening it.

it wont cut a true 45. it pushs the trim away as it cuts or squashes it ruining the miter. it is open on the top .
i think the probelm is the double edged blade type. if it was a one bevel blade it would cut straighter
i wouldnt reconmend it.
il go for one of those fansy yellow miter boxs in my next order

F

Fliselege

[video=youtube;l5DwsvhfmXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5DwsvhfmXk&context=C38b15fcADOEgsToPDskLW ikOknpT99d-ZX28ZTHp_[/video]
I use those for edging but all we do round baths is silicone

A

Alan M

my cutter looks like that but doesnt give those results. althow im dubious of that video . he didnt pu the trim flat. if you hold mine like that its ok too but not when flat.
il try it on some other type of trim. maybe the trim is crap

T

The D

my cutter looks like that but doesnt give those results. althow im dubious of that video . he didnt pu the trim flat. if you hold mine like that its ok too but not when flat.
il try it on some other type of trim. maybe the trim is crap

:lol::lol: that is me in that video :lol::lol:

Reply to what is the best way to cut plastic trim in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen