Discuss outside corner in rectangle bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mr angry

after checking a few tiles at the window area i had a few loose tiles which i took off to investigate. the window wall seems to have been made up of plasterboard and then a skim of brown plaster on top with a plastic wire mesh stuff inside it, downwards from window area, which is different from the side walls where this is made up of about an inch of white plaster, not sure if there is any mesh inside it but in comparison seems a lot thicker and better stability that the brown plaster on the window wall.

from where the tiles were loose there seems to be no mesh in this area towards the ceiling and side areas of window. when i pulled a few tiles off, the thin layer of brown plaster came away with the adhesive and was very weak however the rest of the wall seems intact and ok. im assuming that when this was done the need for this wire mesh was missed out left and right side of the window.

also, im not going to use the mapei super grip on last wall. so what stuff should i buy going forward from b&q or screwfix or anything else to help finish this job :)

thanks for your time guys :)

M

mr angry

is there a particular brand of primer for the last wall i need to finish from b&q, screwfix or somewhere else?

i have seen a few different ones....everbuild sbr bond, bal bond sbr, bal primer, bal prime apd..... which one is specific to my cause? i did read the prime apd which states for dusty tiling substrates, should i buy this one?

please help!

cheers

S

Spare Tool

You should really use the same manufacturers primer as your chosen adhesive and I don't buy from B&Q so don't know what they stock, have you not got a tile giant or Topps or even a local independent tile shop you can buy from instead? Where ever you get it from you'll need a mix with water bagged slowset adhesive..

M

mr angry

can anyone tell me if i can use bal white star plus ready mix adhesive and is it better than the mapei super grip? someone local is selling 7 tubs of it for £50 so was wondering if this would kill 2 birds if i dont need to prime the walls or would i still need to prime the walls if i purchased the bal stuff or not bother and buy the powder slow set stuff.

i also have an option with weber set rapid spf 20kg bags x 5 for £50 if thats better i can get that.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That will be fine but is going to go off pretty quick.
A standard setting adhesive may be better if your not that quick tiling.
We use Tilemaster standard setaflex on walls, gives a few hours working time, but it’s used up before it goes off anyway.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah, the maroon bag.

M

mr angry

i will mix a small amount each time before i tile due to me being a novice. what primer should i get...the weber pr360 or something else?

cheers

W

Waluigi

Don’t forget to clean your bucket and tools between mixes otherwise the next mix will set much quicker than it should.

So much easier with a slow setting adhesive. I suppose at least you got a good deal though.......

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I wanted to try that but nobody stocks it near me.

I buy direct from Tilemaster but you have to have it by the pallet.
I have used many adhesives in the past but find this one of the nicest to use and is the best blend of price/performance.
I use their Ultimate adhesive on floors, but you have to be really clean as you go, it’s sticks to everything and is a pain to get off when set!

Reply to outside corner in rectangle bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks