Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling a wall that isn’t flat. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

UK Tiling Advice Thread
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting.

I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at it. After doing a half wall and the first wall of the corner shower I’ve made a few mistakes but figured it out as I’ve gone.

Before starting the other shower wall I thought best to check the wall flatness first, in hindsight it’s obvious I should have done this prior to tanking.

The first 600-900mm from tray up has a dip in the centre of the wall, starting at 5mm in the centre and running out to flat as you go up the wall.

Would it be best to flatten this out with a feather edge before carrying on or have a go at applying more adhesive to the back of the tile where needed as I go? Bearing in mind I’m a novice. Using 300x600 tile with a 10mm notched trowel.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

Photos don’t really show it very well but I’ve attached some anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_4706.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4707.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 28

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting.

I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at it. After doing a half wall and the first wall of the corner shower I’ve made a few mistakes but figured it out as I’ve gone.

Before starting the other shower wall I thought best to check the wall flatness first, in hindsight it’s obvious I should have done this prior to tanking.

The first 600-900mm from tray up has a dip in the centre of the wall, starting at 5mm in the centre and running out to flat as you go up the wall.

Would it be best to flatten this out with a feather edge before carrying on or have a go at applying more adhesive to the back of the tile where needed as I go? Bearing in mind I’m a novice. Using 300x600 tile with a 10mm notched trowel.

Yes, you need to prep the walls prior to tiling, that's how it is done. Send us some more pictures once you are done. Good luck!

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting.

Photos don’t really show it very well but I’ve attached some anyway.a was

Hi, first time posting.

Yes just feather the wall in with adhesive.

Myrdaal

TF
Reaction score
Exactly right, 10mm adhesive trowel on the wall over the dip, also trowel some on the back of the tile to build it out a bit. You can use tile levelling wedges ( or those orange screw type levellers) to help keep it flat( and of course use a spirit level). Push the tile(s) in well at the edges. You may have to reduce to an 8mm (try not to go to a 6mm for that size). Make sure to butter the back of the tiles.

Reaction score
as someone who tiles day in day out seen the worst walls and the flattest walls. in my opinion as tiling is the finish product it’s better spending more time getting everything flat so it’s just trowel and stick I do so much work for people who don’t understand how a bent or bowed wall effects costs and time and finish. In the real world every wall should be level top to bottom but the majority of the time that isn’t possible tilers wants flatness. If there’s any bows now or bumps in any wall the cheapest way is too buy a bag of bonding use a straight edge and build the wall out flat. Tile adhesive is expensive and bonding is cheap I say that’s the best option from many experiences packing tiles out always ends up in a mess and stress.

Reaction score
Nothing is 100% level especially in old houses but being flat with your tiles is so important on certain walls likes windows where trim is needed and where shower doors are going get it 100% flat before any tiles go on the wall and it will make it 10X easier!!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting.

5mm isn't much to sort out. As some have said here, bring the wall flat with some rapid set adhesive.

Probably advisable to use something more reliable to be straight and true than an off cut of ply though!

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

All the walls need to be + or - 4mm over a 2m length.

You’ll struggle if these Building Regulations for tiling are not met.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As above you might get away with it, do a row at a time from what's straight and get a level! And use that to keep your rows as straight as they can be.

Reply to Tiling a wall that isn’t flat. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks