Discuss outside corner in rectangle bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

B9931ACA-A035-4C4C-8E18-80448236D812.png 5AFEAAE6-7630-401B-A409-FA4E7FF3A952.png

M

mr angry

it says on a sticker that it can be used on tiles 300x600 its as if it was an update on the adhesive without changing the actual bucket info. this was bought from b&q and i can provide the sticker on lid if you require.

going back to my initial problem what issues might i come across?

Q

Qwerty

Any chance of a photo of said sticker please. I'm interested in what @Mapei UK Marketing would say about it.

The risk is that the adhesive wont set therefore little bond to the wall. Did you say your tiles were ceramic or porcelain?

S

Spare Tool

it says on a sticker that it can be used on tiles 300x600 its as if it was an update on the adhesive without changing the actual bucket info. this was bought from b&q and i can provide the sticker on lid if you require.

going back to my initial problem what issues might i come across?
I would suggest cutting your loses now and remove the tiles before they fall off and injure someone...bucket adhesive on dusty un-primed walls is never going to end well.

M

mr angry

hi guys,

unfortunately for me ive already started with the tiling and to remove them now would send my wife into a fit. mainly due to me taking so long and also doing all the work myself :(

if i continue as is what should i look out for if these decide to come loose? are there any given signs beforehand or is it a case of smash, bang, whallop at anytime. is there a test i can do to see if they are solid enough or stuck properly?

its the b&q tiles travertine ones (are they classed as stone?) and the ridged. this is what the staff member recommended when i was buying the stuff. i take it im using the wrong stuff for these type of tiles?

here are some photos of where im at :)

IMG_20180827_122237.jpg IMG_20180827_122256.jpg IMG_20180827_122444.jpg IMG_20180827_122451.jpg

F

Flintstone

They are either porcelain or ceramic tiles, and that adhesive is not suitable for porcelain and it will never set, in my opinion it’s not suitable even if there ceramic tiles. Why did you just jump into this without first finding out at least the correct methods and materials?

M

mr angry

the guy at b&q recommended mapei ready mix and nobody mentioned anything about using a different adhesive for a certain tile. i did mention 2 weeks ago that i was putting batons up but i didnt think to mention or nobody said what type of adhesive are you using until i asked here about treating the walls and thats when andystiletelling asked about the adhesive.

how much force do i use if im to try and pull a tile off? ive done about 2/3 of the bathroom and the wall you see is the only one left. so is my diy job a lost cause? what do i do to try and salvage this?

will the adhesive take time to settle? do i leave it as is? will i start to notice tiles coming loose after several weeks? what are the given signs?

worried to say the least :(

cheers

S

Spare Tool

You've been given bad advise at B&Q, a cement based mix with water should have been used...however it does state on the sticker it is suitable and I would also like to hear Mapies take on this. Its the dusty unprimed walls that are the biggest concern imo, does it not mention the need for priming on the bucket? Imagine making dumplings and you sprinkle flour to stop the dumplings from sticking to the chopping board, same issue with your walls in a roundabout way. Try a scrapper under a corner of one of the first tiles you fixed, if that just pops straight off then your in trouble...if it takes some force then you might be ok. If you think they're stuck ok and you want to risk leaving them up then leave them at least two weeks before grouting and give the adhesive half a chance to go off, and prime whatevers left before sticking any more tiles on..

M

mr angry

ive tried the scraper on a corner of tile and it seems ok, didnt see any movement but thats because the ones i tested (bath/shower area) has been set for about 2 weeks, these feel solid. i dont want to tap with a rubber mallet incase i break the seal behind tile....or should i? i understand what you are saying about the dust example. i did brush the walls down before hand but i guess maybe that wasnt enough for my job at hand, lesson learned there! hopefully all is well....fingers crossed lol

this might be a daft question but to help further issues down the line, is it possible to add a small depth of silicone into the spacing of tiles and then grout over the top, or is this a NO NO? my reasoning behind this is to stop further water getting behind tiles.

i have read that grout lets in water over time and this will no doubt weaken my setup if it somehow penetrates the walls or adhesive. i am using a 5mm spacer but looks bigger because of the chamfered edges of these tiles so it looks like a 6/7mm gap :/

cheers

S

Spare Tool

No you can't silicone then grout over the top. Just take your time with the grouting and make sure there's no pinholes or missed bits of grout. Spray the grout after its properly dry with LTP grout and tile protector, really helps to make the grout more water resistant..

Reply to outside corner in rectangle bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks