Discuss outside corner in rectangle bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mr angry

hi guys,

is this acceptable for scoring walls or do i need to heavily score it more?

thanks

IMAG0077.jpg IMAG0079.jpg

M

mr angry

hi guys,

what type of screws do i need for overboarding? i have a 22mm thick floorboard and 18mm wbp plywood going on top. the room is about 9ft x 5ft does anyone have a rough guess how many screws i need?

the walls are stripped back to plaster, do i need to prep the walls, floorboards or the ply before i start screwing it down?

to get the paint off the walls i just used an electric planer and it came off in seconds....very dusty though lol

here is an update on walls and pipework so far...

cheers

IMG-20180722-WA0001.jpeg IMG-20180722-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20180722-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20180725-WA0002.jpeg IMG-20180725-WA0004.jpeg

IMAG0125.jpg IMAG0126.jpg

Reaction score
On masonry walls I use a welders chipping tool,it looks like a small pick axe and makes short work of chopping into walls to create a mechanical fixing for tiles.Holes are space at about 50mm apart.First tile walls but leave out bottom cuts as you will tile the floor next and then bottom wall cuts last.
In my area I offer diyers an hour of tuition for £25 maybe there is a tiler here who can get you started.

M

mr angry

hi guys,

my reactangular bathroom is not equal at the short sides ie window side and opposite door side. it is about 2-3cm out at the window side compared to the door side. i suppose what im trying to say is that it tapers outwards towards the window side if that makes sense. how do i tackle this before i start tiling?

if i leave it as i will know doubt have issues with squaring this off when i do the floor. any ideas on how to remedy this situation is most helpful :)

cheers

M

mr angry

update on floor...it looks like i have a slight dip in the middle of floor after i have screwed the plywood down...

should i use a self leveling compound? i would say the dip is about 3mm when i use my level across the floor. is there a tolerance for dips or will the tiling adhesive make up the shortfall?

cheers

Q

Qwerty

You're outside of the tolerance of levels there if its across the length of a level. I would recommend self levelling compound to sort it. How big is the dip?

M

mr angry

the dip is about 3mm but the floor is solid :) should i still use self leveling compound?

any ideas how i can make an access hatch with tiles on top or if i can buy one complete to tile upon?

cheers

M

mr angry

hi,

i am about to put batons up on the wall but i need some urgent help!

i measured the walls from top to bottom and they are all different. here is a photo of measurements in cm. how do i tackle walls which are different sizes in height?

IMG_20180813_145808.jpg

D

Dumbo

Set your battens at a height you have enough to cut off at the ceiling as well as the floor but also take I to consideration things like window head , window sill , door head , bath or shower tray or both and any other horizontal surface that is going to be in place before tiling.

M

mr angry

do i tile straight onto the walls with the adhesive or do i need to prep it first with a treatment? ive already started so will these tiles fall off in a few weeks because i didnt treat them?

i assumed when i removed all the paint i was good to go without doing anything else to the walls :/

please tell me its going to be ok!

M

mr angry

what about the walls though....do i need to treat them or will i be safe to continue to tile over the current state?

Reply to outside corner in rectangle bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks