Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

So basically what your saying is cut in the doorway to keep the grout line, that would be 1 big 1 small tile tile, cut them both until it reaches the wall, and then I can run a row of full tiles, is that right?

O

Old Mod

So basically what your saying is cut in the doorway to keep the grout line, that would be 1 big 1 small tile tile, cut them both until it reaches the wall, and then I can run a row of full tiles, is that right?
Yes, you have a short tile, if you will.
But keep the other joint running through, even tho it's off centre, it won't look right any other way.
But make sure you bring it through far enough to give you a few mil at your perimeter in the bathroom, or you'll still have to cut every tile against the wall.

F

Flintstone

By method I meant are you putting any adhesive on the back of the tile or just using 10mm trowel on the floor

M

mp3wizard

image.jpg
That makes sense thanks, yeah I've been back buttering tiles, I've had to build up adhesive on some tiles and i even put another bag of slc down as the floor was sloping off near bifolds and the adhesive was getting too thick.

F

Flintstone

If you need to build up more, I would advise combing the floor and the tile to double the amount of adhesive.

M

mp3wizard

thanks, yeah it started off with a normal amount of bed & backbutter but the futher along the room I got the more thicker it had to be, especially on the right handside, so what we did was keep a more flat edge on the trowel on certain sides to build up, the information on the adhesive bag said it's limited to 15mm, so it was getting excess of that so I decided it's best to put some more slc on that section, I'm surprised the levels were that off after using the packers as a gauge, very difficult to get right.

I've read from others that sometimes the levelling system creates hollows underneath, but it's definitely not the case here, it's a thick bed, and it's been more of a case of pushing down and wiping the excess coming threw the grout line several times until it matches the next tile rather than it being pulling up from the adhesive bed, I doubt those clips could pull it up anyway, my brother is a builder and is fairly butch and it took all his strength and a few seconds to pull them up to re level.

M

mp3wizard

I'm a bit worried about how much heat will actually be produced with all these thick layers, I've read that thicker slc will take longer to heat up but will retain the heat longer, not sure if the heat transfer threw thick adhesive is the same though.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Average,

Here's where I am at, I started from the third row on the right working my way to the bifolds, then moved along to the wall, on the left are the cuts, and the 4th row that's due to go on the right will be full sized tile.

View attachment 87715 View attachment 87716
Looks like you have taken the correct advice and centred the room ish and not gone for a little cut ?
As for the rest of you, i got taught to centre the room be it floors or walls, we all get taught different ways, it just looks right to me , and if it does not i move it over, but usually either have a tile centre or grout line.
I was quite upseet about the fact you lot thought its fine to put a slip down one edge and put a bloody settee over it, twas a bit of a joke on your part , i actually had a bit of a laugh with a few chaps on a half a million quid house i was tiling last week reading the thread out :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Good buy god bless

Last edited by a moderator:

average

TF
Reaction score
View attachment 87730 That makes sense thanks, yeah I've been back buttering tiles, I've had to build up adhesive on some tiles and i even put another bag of slc down as the floor was sloping off near bifolds and the adhesive was getting too thick.

Has happened to me more than once and I'm sure there'll be a lot on here afraid to admit it its happened to them as well. It actually happened to me in a wetroom once where I ended up having to spread a 20mm trowel onto tile onto large bed of Addy. 12 years and its still down. Worked with tilers and have seen them stick half tiles under tiles to fill under. I know it'll be frowned upon on here but that's been over a decade bd still down so don't worry about you needing to use more Addy. Just make sure it aint to dry thou

T

Time's Ran Out

I expressed my views about siting furniture over a floor to cover the setting out, not just on this example, but as a practise in general and really I couldn't be bothered with the opinions of those who believe it's correct.
I wouldn't get upset at what others want to do as that's their problem. But it does make me wonder about some of the expert advice that's provided, and whether they've read the code of practice laid out in the British Standard s for the setting out and laying of tiles. Or are so many self taught and believe that it's not necessary to learn the basics required in our trade.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
All for centering a room john, when it is the beat way. I agree working off a center point that leaves a sliver cut isn't what I would do, BUT you can't tell me you always have a joint or center of tile, centered to the ROOM every time matter what. Because I know o don't, other focal points room shape, runs to corridors, other rooms etc etc all come onto play, and yea I do know British standards, and the basics, was trained and am qualified. I feel it is wrong to say that no matter what a ROOM has to centered

average

TF
Reaction score
I expressed my views about siting furniture over a floor to cover the setting out, not just on this example, but as a practise in general and really I couldn't be bothered with the opinions of those who believe it's correct.
I wouldn't get upset at what others want to do as that's their problem. But it does make me wonder about some of the expert advice that's provided, and whether they've read the code of practice laid out in the British Standard s for the setting out and laying of tiles. Or are so many self taught and believe that it's not necessary to learn the basics required in our trade.

I have been guilty of doing this in a bathroom thou itll be covered by a bath so no one will ever see it.

Any decent books on the british standard tiling you can recommend?

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks