Search the forum,

Discuss When do you do your cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

ScottG13

I recently tiled my utility room (pics to follow, one day). When floor was prepd I did the layed all my whole tiles, then on day 2 went back in and did all my cuts. Not 100% where I read this but is that normal procedure, or possibly just for amatures due to setting time of the addy?

D

Daz

It's really just a judgement call IMO.

Some rooms are small and it makes sense to dry lay, mark the cuts and stick in one go. Some rooms are straight forward cuts that can be made as you go. Some areas are easier to fire down the field tiles and then mark and fix cuts later, it all depends on circumstance.

The main thing is the end result :thumbsup:.

A

albyshellshear

I agree with the captain, depends on the room size and shape if there is going to be a lot of awkward cuts i lay the full tiles do the cuts later, but if staight forward just a few cuts i would cut as i go :thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I have heard this old chesnut so many times, I have yet to see someone do it faster, cut as you go.......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

smallish rooms I'll dry lay everything first and then stick down, I very rarely stick field tiles down and then do cuts later, I always do the cuts as I come to them:thumbsup:

W

White Room

On a big floor will lay then cut but smaller floors will cut as I go, small toilet floors dry lay then fix.

A

Aston

i prefer to cut and fix as i go...i would also rather work out my cuts 1st on large areas and real them off so there all done and also ready to fix as i go, rather than doing the field tiles on one day and then doing the cuts the next or when the addy has dried sufficiently..

dom is right about this time issue thing..tiling is a finsihing trade so therefore the quality of your finish is the most important issue. its so much more important to spend that little bit extra time on measuring accurately and precise cutting because thats what people will notice and thats what builds you reputation and the money you can jusifyable charge imo..

ed...

Reply to When do you do your cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I am about to lay my patio, 60x60cm porcelain tiles. I have just checked on where...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve been trying to seek advice on whether the recently finished tiling/grouting in my...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen