Discuss How to trim, metal tiling trim after it’s been installed in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Atkddo

-
Reaction score
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice.

Recently had the chamber of my fireplace tiled and the front two side edges of the chamber had metal trim added to finish it off. The tiles were 9mm I believe and to allow for the adhesive, 12.5mm trim was used. Unfortunately this has meant the trim is prouder than the tile edge it covers.

Ordinarily this would not be a problem as it can not be noticed when looking front on.

To be honest I’m not happy with the look of the trim and have decided to edge the whole chamber (both sides and too) with mitred steel sprayed black with Matt stove heat resistant paint.

As the steel is a rolled angle steel around 25mm wide, which will go inside the chamber as well as creating a mitred three sided picture frame on the outside, there will be a problem fitting it now.

I will need to cut the already installed metal tile edging trim so it sits flush with the tiles. If I don’t do this the inside edge of the new steel angle edging will not sit square and will therefore throw the outside mitred corners out.

I will need to trim back the metal tile edging but what is the best way to do this as neatly as possible and without damaging the tiles???

Only thing I can think of is a little cutting away the excess 1-2mm of trim with a small metal cutting disc in a dremel. Anyone tried this and did it work. If not anyone else have any sensible suggestions?

Photo below shows how I want the chamber to be framed in steel.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8950.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 41

Atkddo

-
Reaction score
Yes dremmel or angle grinder, don’t worry too much as your 25mm steel will cover any little nicks to the tiles.
Thanks. Went for it in the end. The steel covered it / finished it off nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_9127.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 31

Reply to How to trim, metal tiling trim after it’s been installed in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks