Discuss First tiling project - just need to vent in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water membrane, proper notching, back-buttering.

Then I learned that in the section from when I first started laying tiles, there were voids -- one tile rocking. I had to remove and replace 20 tiles.

While laying, the leveling clips I was using would lift the tile a small amount from the substrate, so it wasn't allowing the notches to collapse. I spotted this happening and adjusted how I laid the tiles for full coverage... but I made the stupid mistake of not going back to undo the 20 tiles I had laid.

My dad being the construction guy, we argued over this project so much, as I had to stand my ground when I needed to disagree with him on whether something was done correctly or not. Tiling is neither of our specialties, yet he was confident in telling me the tiles would be fine when I realized the notches weren't collapsing. This was real stressful since I give so much trust to my dad's word.

I want to make the place of home that we go to get clean durable, beautiful, and inspire possibilities for future renovations and remodeling. I needed to express this somewhere where people understand the difficulties to meet that goal. After this project I can say some smallest part of me is a tiler now. At any place where there's a tiling job, I now stop to look at a good or flawed job and all of their (im)perfections and it gives me a little joy each time. It's something new for me to nerd out about. Thank you guys for what you do.

Reaction score
Hi mate walls are never flat unfortunately 😂 that is a tilers dream. It’s a skill to tile but being able to pack out tiles is another skill in itself.

Sounds like your wall wasn’t flat best thing to do is check the wall with a level before you start and if there is an deviations or bumps it should be made flat before starting.

Reply to First tiling project - just need to vent in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks