Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Outside Steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

fergy7197

Been asked to tile some outside steps...

the jobs are rollin in!!:lol:

Any advice on this?

adhesive, grouts etc.

think quarry tiles are going to be used.

The important things I can see are it being flat for a start, maybe dry laying all the cuts on each step then fixing?

D

diamondtiling

When tiling steps you sometimes use bullnose tiles that highlights the edge of the step, if you are not using these then maybe a brass trim to protect the edges. Dry cutting each step would make sense, use a flexible adhesive and grout that is suited for swimming pools, there are many to choose from.

Ps, I once watched a bloke tile a concrete staircase from the bottom up, what a numpty.

:lol:

P

Peter

Flexible frost proof adhesive and grout would be needed, and it's a good idea to back butter quarry tiles as they'll usually have ridges in the back.

Simplest way is usually to do the top riser first, then tread, and work your way down the step, fitting the risers first. Remember to use a straight edge/level to make sure your risers are in line otherwise it'll kick your tread tiling out. A tip is to cut your treads slightly smaller than you usually would, to give yourself a 4-5mm joint between the bullnose tread and the riser.

A

Aston

as above
just make sure you measure your cuts to the highest point of the risers incase they run up.

schluter do some nice stair nosing profiles !

ed

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
and make sure you dont plaster the step with bond coat as ive just witnessed on a job i went to look at:yikes::yikes::yikes::helpsmilie:

S

Spud

you will need to be very accurate when fitting tiles to steps, all riser heights must be equal and all tread depths must be the same as each other ,this sounds very simple but it is harder than you may think as most concrete shuttered steps are not usually true good luck with the job pics would be nice :thumbsup:

S

Spud

Here are some pictures of some steps i tiled last year the concrete was very badly poored so i had to tile them using a sand and cement bed on the treads ,I manufactured a stair string from a 90 x 45 cm tile to give it a classier finish if you look closely at the wall you can see where i set them out :thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Here are some pictures of some steps i tiled last year the concrete was very badly poored so i had to tile them using a sand and cement bed on the treads ,I manufactured a stair string from a 90 x 45 cm tile to give it a classier finish if you look closely at the wall you can see where i set them out :thumbsup:

Nice job Gary, as you say concrete is rerely good enough. Uniformity of tread and riser is paramount, for HSE. I tend to render or, if tile is suitable, fix in sand and cement. I do the same method, Take a level line from the top tread. Plumb up from bottom riser, divide how many treads/ risers in stair. This determines the height of riser, and the length of tread. Hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

F

fergy7197

seems to be concrete steps - tiled on already but water has got in and ruined the addy and the tiles are cracked.

would the steps need prepped at all - apart from obviously being dry and free of old addy etc, will it need any sort of primer - was thinking of a cement based flexible adhesive and grout(wide jointed) - treated slate tiles are being used.

H

hillhead

A good flexi adhesive like keraquick would do the trick,prime with primerG.
get them levels sorted first though,easy to make a pigs ear of it.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi fergy 7197, If concrete is pre-cast and accurate, no probs. Just treat as tiling on concrete floor ie: prime, use appropriate adhesive etc. Just be aware the importance of the consistency of tread and riser. People get into a rhythm when using stairs a slight deviation in size can be dangerous:thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling Outside Steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks