Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Outside Steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Here are some pictures of some steps i tiled last year the concrete was very badly poored so i had to tile them using a sand and cement bed on the treads ,I manufactured a stair string from a 90 x 45 cm tile to give it a classier finish if you look closely at the wall you can see where i set them out :thumbsup:

Nice job Gary, as you say concrete is rerely good enough. Uniformity of tread and riser is paramount, for HSE. I tend to render or, if tile is suitable, fix in sand and cement. I do the same method, Take a level line from the top tread. Plumb up from bottom riser, divide how many treads/ risers in stair. This determines the height of riser, and the length of tread. Hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

F

fergy7197

seems to be concrete steps - tiled on already but water has got in and ruined the addy and the tiles are cracked.

would the steps need prepped at all - apart from obviously being dry and free of old addy etc, will it need any sort of primer - was thinking of a cement based flexible adhesive and grout(wide jointed) - treated slate tiles are being used.

H

hillhead

A good flexi adhesive like keraquick would do the trick,prime with primerG.
get them levels sorted first though,easy to make a pigs ear of it.

T

Hi fergy 7197, If concrete is pre-cast and accurate, no probs. Just treat as tiling on concrete floor ie: prime, use appropriate adhesive etc. Just be aware the importance of the consistency of tread and riser. People get into a rhythm when using stairs a slight deviation in size can be dangerous:thumbsup:

F

fergy7197

would primer g be the best?

double checked the heights - and they do seem very consistent along the steps

T

Yes mate primer G, if you are using Mapei keraqick. I would be tempted to use latex plus. Just to be sure:thumbsup:

F

fergy7197

they seem to be slate tiles from topps - the customer is double checking but had a wee look through the catalogue and seems to be rustic slate, pre treated so no messing about.

just need to get a nice weekend to do it! hope the sun stays:hurray:

2Balls

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old now, but are there any BS standards on the size of steps, riser and treads in commercial or private jobs ? :8:2Balls

Reply to Tiling Outside Steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All! Total DIY’er here- we’re in a project house which has drained us, and one of the final...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen