Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

I realise that. And as a result of wanting to do it full time, i know my posts don't get it accross, but i really do have sympathy when things like this aren't obvious to anyone until its too late. (Except when an issue is blattently obvious but the fitter cracks on anyway).

But as i said in the first post, the supplier if its a genuine issue, have a duty to back the customer up if they are being charged extra for fitting. Whether it be from a suppliers or the factory....... but only when the problem couldn't have been avoided and the the supplier in turn will be refunded for the factories qc cockup.

I

Italy

is useless, do not want to understand.
because I must say that is not the fault of the tiler and if they bring you before a judge, tells you the same thing?
regulations, there are a long time.
I'm a tiler, I tried what I'm telling on my skin.
I understand that speeches are annoying, but it is useless to do the dull, it is better to prevent than to redo.

I

Italy

Does it not say on the box ' mix tiles before laying' or something along those lines ?
Or does it say
'Please check every tile next to every other tile due to shading issues' or something along those lines ?
I know we mix boxes up when laying ,cos I'm sure that's what I've read ? But that's a s far as I will go .

I personally do not know ONE person (in GB) who will check every tile on every job next to another tile , it's even, dare I say it , ridiculous to even suggest it .
I don't know how tiles get quality checked , Shirley they must do somewhere along the lines before being shipped ? So Shirley it's not the tilers fault if they are wrong , it goes back to the maker, importer,then supplier then last but not least maybe the tiler.
I actually can't believe that people on a tilers forum are blaming a tiler for fooking shading issues , it beggars my belief ;)
I am a beggar?

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When I walk in some public place I always check some mistake,some tile fixed wrong,lips,shades,veins,lines,squares....
If I see some different shades I blame first the tiler...(not professional,not see the different shades,not follow the veins,I'm better!:))
Is my fault if I fit different shades,or chip tiles,this is my job and I have to do it right.
Happens more then one time,is not something new to find this different shades and sometime not easy to see but...I have in my hand and I not pay attention enough.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Another scenario. Customer buys their own flat pack units and gets a kitchen fitter to build/install them.

Fitter opens box. Ignores instructions cuz he knows best, doesnt put it together in the correct order and breaks it in the process. Its now useless.

Should he be reimbursed for lost time and be given a new unit foc from the supplier?
If he breaks it that's his fault, if the tiles have shade variations, the tiler didn't make the tiles so who's fault is it that the tiles vary if batch and serial numbers are the same?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can see it from all points of view but personally I check batch numbers and work from at least 2 open boxes at a time. Whenever I pause for a brew, *** or to mix more adhesive I will always scrutinise what I've just fixed. If I see a problem I show it to customer and they decide what they want to do. If it means down time and I'm out of pocket then it's my tough luck - hopefully I can be compensated by someone further up the line but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it's such a subtle shading issue that it is only perceptible once grouted then I would consider I had done everything I could have done and would expect payment in full for a job well done. If they want any tiles changing then I would charge them for my time and they would have to wait for my availability.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Does it not say on the box ' mix tiles before laying' or something along those lines ?
Or does it say
'Please check every tile next to every other tile due to shading issues' or something along those lines ?
I know we mix boxes up when laying ,cos I'm sure that's what I've read ? But that's a s far as I will go .

I personally do not know ONE person (in GB) who will check every tile on every job next to another tile , it's even, dare I say it , ridiculous to even suggest it .
I don't know how tiles get quality checked , Shirley they must do somewhere along the lines before being shipped ? So Shirley it's not the tilers fault if they are wrong , it goes back to the maker, importer,then supplier then last but not least maybe the tiler.
I actually can't believe that people on a tilers forum are blaming a tiler for fooking shading issues , it beggars my belief ;)
Exactly mate, your working in a small bathroom with hardly any room to work in, the process is simple: check batch and serial numbers, open up boxes and mix up as you lay. Keep checking work as you go and if you notice a shade variation stop and inform customer. Sometimes as OP suggests, A shade variation is not obvious or shows itself until after grouting or in a different light. In these cases the tiler is not at fault.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I can see it from all points of view but personally I check batch numbers and work from at least 2 open boxes at a time. Whenever I pause for a brew, *** or to mix more adhesive I will always scrutinise what I've just fixed. If I see a problem I show it to customer and they decide what they want to do. If it means down time and I'm out of pocket then it's my tough luck - hopefully I can be compensated by someone further up the line but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it's such a subtle shading issue that it is only perceptible once grouted then I would consider I had done everything I could have done and would expect payment in full for a job well done. If they want any tiles changing then I would charge them for my time and they would have to wait for my availability.
Bang on the money this post, and would a subtle variation fall under Paul C's
"Shading is inherent in ceramic and porcelain manufacture"? I bet this is not explained to the customer before they purchase any tiles.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to see how a (natural?) shading in a man made product is the fitters problem , more so when the same batch number is on each box .
Yes yes yes I understand if it's that bad and you can see it from the offset you should say something .
But how a fixer can be blamed for something that has been made in a factory is beyond my mental capacity.
I get what everyone is trying to say , but if I ever get blame for a shading problem and they won't pay me , my hammer and bolster would be right out and said shaded tiles would be coming up and I would be walking out , without pay with a big 2 finger salute :handwaving::handwaving::handwaving:

N

Njdceramics

Thanks for the input I don't think my problem was ever with the supplier as he never saw the tiles he effectively just ordered them to site more QC at the factory
And I think it's easy to say notice as you go along but this was not really an option as had to cover most while I and other trades where in there working
Not an ideal situation
the only tiles I could see where the cuts and full tiles at the edge
So end of day pulled protection hoovered over and left I was actually talking to the client for five mins and we were both looking at it saying it looks great
I think the shading was noticed at around 8.30pm under artificial light but as others have said once you know it's there the games up

I'm willing to do what it takes to get it right for them and I understand the whole if you fixed it your f***ked card but as you say it seems like saying it's my fault is a very easy thing to do when effectively the only thing in there that has been sub standard is the tile

And also think the supplier should be in my corner as he also has been sold a substandard product and as I'm led to believe he buys quite a lot from them

I will keep you updated on what course is taken and I'm willing for some give and take to a degree but as anyone who's had to do it will tell you it's not nice pulling up work you have put a lot of effort into

Just want to say thanks to everyone who chipped in aswell seems like a bit of a brexit debate if your a small print man then it's all on me and if you do the job day in day out you can understand where I'm coming from
But on goes this thing of ours
. Thud

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you can only notice it in a certain light, and you checked batches, worked from multiple boxes at a time etc... then I would say you are in no way to blame.

N

Njdceramics

pictures and proof of batch nos ect have gone off too factory so I will have to wait and see if they agree .
got to a stage now where I'm not gonna get too stressed about it I know I can put it right so that's what I will do
I just think it would be nice for the factory to put its hand up because that's how reputations are built
And that's the same reason I can't just walk away

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
pictures and proof of batch nos ect have gone off too factory so I will have to wait and see if they agree .
got to a stage now where I'm not gonna get too stressed about it I know I can put it right so that's what I will do
I just think it would be nice for the factory to put its hand up because that's how reputations are built
And that's the same reason I can't just walk away

Fair play to you

Reply to Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks