Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't know what you are on about ants, you have lost me, but yes, I do have a long tongue, and the Mrs loves it ;)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Or is it a insult in Italian ? Like I have a big mouth and nothing else (English version? ) :)

T

Time's Ran Out

Widler said - it beggars belief!
Antonio asked - am I a beggar?

I say lost in translation.
Always difference of opinions on here which can be taken out of context.
But I may be wrong.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Something's lost in translation , I would of thought calling him a idiot would of got the bite I wanted, not the 'IT beggars belief ' :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I will leave it here :thumbsup:

S

Spare Tool

See what i mean..... always the suppliers fault. Again, if you want the supplier to do all the checking fot you, you're telling me you'd take delivery of a pallet of loose tiles?

Shading is inherent in ceramic and porcelain manufacture. You know this but what? Its not your problem???

Yeah, never the tilers fault is it. His job is to put them down and blame someone else when it goes wrong because he couldn't be arsed to do what it says on the box, what it says in british standards, what it says in the suppliers t&c's, whats common knowledge to most tilers. What makes you so special these rules don't apply to you?

Why would the supplier know any different if the batch numbers match? If you wanna fix 'em without checking, fine. But don't always expect a supplier to bail you out if you haven't followed tiling 101.

Ask us to help you out, before it becomes a problem, not after you realise you've been a special kind of dumbass!

Does no-one loose lay tiles anymore?

Rant over.
Not really a shading issue but a supply problem so interested how you'd handle this one Paul?
I'm just on with a bathroom half the walls 14sqm in total are of 3 sizes of strips of slate, fixed with random groutlines. My customer ordered 5sqm of each size strip. We noticed last night at close of play there were far too few of one size of strip yet far too many of another, one size out of the three are correct quantity, so clearly the guy that palleted them up didn't do his calculations properly. The pallet arrived loosely stacked and all strapped and wrapped, my customer opened the pallet and checked the quality of slate and duly signed for the pallet...two weeks ago!! So now we're 3 days into job (on day rate ;)) and we have this problem. Luckily for the supplier my customer is happy for me to mix up the remaining two sizes and fix them as it's behind the door and a towel rad but where would we go with this if he wasn't so accommodating? For a start i can't twiddle my thumbs and wait three days for replacement tiles to arrive, I ain't got a gap in work till February. So who would finish the job this side of Christmas..would you send out a replacement tiler? And was my customer supposed to open the pallet and lay it all out on the drive and work it out for himself just to make sure the numpty in the warehouse had sent 5 metres of each size of strip?

D

Dumbo

I you have 3 different sizes of equall meterage you should expect more of one size than the other . Am I just stating the obvious

T

Tile Shop

Well, for a start, I wouldn't be dealing with you direct. You'd put your concerns to the customer for them to contact us (with your input if required).

This is a case of a warehouse picking error, not shading like the OP has suggested, so will differ in approach. We have T&C's but we also have sympathy and common sense, so it would go something like this:

I'll say "we", but the supplier acknowledges they have eff'd up and send out the missing tiles immediately (fingers crossed, you are still on the job by the time they arrive).

Its taken you an additional day, to which you put a bill into the customer which they have to pay. Thats you, the fixer, sorted. The customer will then forward us the quote to us, to which the resolution will be negotiated.

So to the problem in hand, she has taken delivery, checked the condition, appears to be in good nick, so signs the paperwork. Fare enough we don't expect it all to be checked on the roadside because thats silly. But they have a delivery note that has the quantities. They don't leave them on the roadside for two weeks until you arrive. So why not when taking them into the house, they count the boxes/tiles? If they got delivered into the house, just double check it. It will also say on the delivery note to check the delivery and notify the supplier if there are any issues within (our case) 48 hours, although we also know this isn't always possible. But really two weeks? And if anyone says after reading this "why should she have to check?", why would anyone have to check a delivery for anything? answer yourself these 3 questions, 1. Is everyone on the planet perfect? 2. Do mistakes happen? 3. Have you never checked a delivery that was in some way incorrect? (lucky bugger if not :))

She's not being asked to do anything difficult, just count and check the condition. And if she did, it would have been spotted, rectified, with 10 days still to spare before you're due to arrive. shouldn't have cost anyone anything, except the supplier for additional carriage of sending the balance.

What would the resolution be? down to the boss, but "my personal hat on" it "should" go 50/50 between the supplier and the customer. With "my company hat on" and being ruled by the manager, customer might get a % refund against their order as goodwill gesture for the inconvenience, which might or might not cover the cost of the additional labour. We have a duty to send the order correct, we failed. The customer has a duty to check the order, they failed. Tiler "we assume" is checking the tiles for quality and shade before fixing. Didn't fit any faulty ones did you? no..... so no liability falls to you.

Again, this is my personal view..... You've done the work. You should be paid, by the customer, with assistance from the supplier. But people shouldn't expect all suppliers to deviate from their T&C's. The rules of the sale are there in black and white. The customers accepts them on order. But its not the suppliers fault if the customer chooses to ignore them.

I've not read T&C's before and got caught out for a reasonable expense. just had to accept it cuz I couldn't do anything about it. I accepted it at the point I handed the money over. Still don't read them in detail now. Gloss over them maybe. And the chances are I will get caught out again, but ultimately it will be me that has to take responsibility for it.

I

Italy

Widler said - it beggars belief!
Antonio asked - am I a beggar?

I say lost in translation.
Always difference of opinions on here which can be taken out of context.
But I may be wrong.

I don't mind chucking a pound in antonio hat..:)

Something's lost in translation , I would of thought calling him a idiot would of got the bite I wanted, not the 'IT beggars belief ' :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I will leave it here :thumbsup:
but, no one has written the phrase as it was written.
it beggars my belief.
All have written, it beggars belief. 4 translators, give the same translation.
if anyone knows Italian, you can try. but mine was only a question, I am a beggar ?.
and no one answered. But the problem is not this, this "gentleman" is 15 days, which to my every response to a trend, he continues to make sarcastic comments, "to say the least" ...
it was only to clarify the reason for my unkind response.
I am a guest here and if everything I've said above, it can do harm to the forum, just say that I take off the trouble.

Reply to Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks