Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

if I notice a shade variation at any stage i'd stop and explain to the customer and see what they want to do no question. But my point is if you do this, who pays for your lose of time? supplier, customer or manufacturer?

Customer.

If its going to cost them more due to a tile issue we ask them to provide a quote from the tiler.

If its obvious the tile is faulty, we'll refund the quote value to the customer straight away and wait for the factory to reimburse us for the dodgy product.

In the op's case, debateable whether it is a fault or natural shading. But if you were the supplier, you agreed the fixing cost only to find out it wasn't a fault and you'd just given the refund and tiles and weren't getting it reimbursed, would you not be a tiny bit peeved that you were now 300-400 out of pocket?

Yes the customer is happy, but the tiler has made a massive error in judgement, blamed the tiles and supplier even though it wasn't faulty, and got away with it.

Sorry but not on imo.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
e.gif
Please check your change before leaving, as mistakes cannot be rectified later.

T

Tile Shop

Another scenario. Customer buys their own flat pack units and gets a kitchen fitter to build/install them.

Fitter opens box. Ignores instructions cuz he knows best, doesnt put it together in the correct order and breaks it in the process. Its now useless.

Should he be reimbursed for lost time and be given a new unit foc from the supplier?

T

Tile Shop

As above, but this time he follows the instructions..... its built. Brilliant.

Oh hang on, the carcass and doors are the wrong colour.

Says beech on the box..... should be white.

Reimbursement for lost time and a new unit foc?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Another scenario . .
Brick layer builds a house with bricks supplied by the customer . ....customer turns up and says brick are wrong shade.....is that the brick layers fault..?

T

Tile Shop

Another scenario . .
Brick layer builds a house with bricks supplied by the customer . ....customer turns up and says brick are wrong shade.....is that the brick layers fault..?

No.

Did the customer who received them check they were correct before passing onto the builder to carry on?

Did anyone check anything before the house was built?

Supplier hold hands up and says oops. Larry on the forklift loaded the wrong pallets. Can we have the old bricks back and we'll do an exchange?

T

Tile Shop

Or......

They're the right bricks, just natural shading..... what? Customer doesn't like them now its finished? Even though its the correct product?

T

Tile Shop

At what point does a tiler take responibility for what he's fixing?

When is the supplier wrong?

When is the manufacturer wrong?

When is the customer wrong?

When is a tiler EVER wrong?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does it not say on the box ' mix tiles before laying' or something along those lines ?
Or does it say
'Please check every tile next to every other tile due to shading issues' or something along those lines ?
I know we mix boxes up when laying ,cos I'm sure that's what I've read ? But that's a s far as I will go .

I personally do not know ONE person (in GB) who will check every tile on every job next to another tile , it's even, dare I say it , ridiculous to even suggest it .
I don't know how tiles get quality checked , Shirley they must do somewhere along the lines before being shipped ? So Shirley it's not the tilers fault if they are wrong , it goes back to the maker, importer,then supplier then last but not least maybe the tiler.
I actually can't believe that people on a tilers forum are blaming a tiler for fooking shading issues , it beggars my belief ;)

D

Dumbo

Another scenario. Customer buys their own flat pack units and gets a kitchen fitter to build/install them.

Fitter opens box. Ignores instructions cuz he knows best, doesnt put it together in the correct order and breaks it in the process. Its now useless.

Should he be reimbursed for lost time and be given a new unit foc from the supplier?
Not quite the same that's an equivalent to putting tiles in back to front or using incorrect adhesive for job

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Paul......I'm glad you are seeking to become a tiler.....because you will see first hand some of the ***** we have to put up with..!!
We get blamed for everything because we're the easy target....less face it everyone's been paid apart from the fixer so let's dump it all on his doorstep....
You need to know we're not numptys if an issue jumps out at us then obviously we speak up.....but sometimes things aren't that obvious . ...as in the op case .

Reply to Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks