Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

WetSaw

If I may play Devils advocate here for a moment... There's probably a bit of responsibility to be spread amongst all parties here.
The manufacturer for ( possibly, I can't be arsed to read their website..) not properly explaining shading variations. The supplier for the same. The tiler for not mixing boxes, as is suggested on most tile boxes. The client for not understanding there may be variations in shade and possibly having unrealistic expectations of what is possible.

I

Italy

you can say what you want, but if you do not respect the rules, there will always tilers come here on the forum to say why? it is not my fault etc etc.
I prefer to lose a day's work, rather than have problems later.
put that kind of tiles, does it cost much more, this also implies a greater control by the tiler.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If I state I my T/C that I except no responsibility for any shading, different batches or any other problem that may arise with tiles NOT supplied by me then that should put me in the clear..
And I'll put it in tiny writing like the suppliers do.......:)

I

Italy

If I state I my T/C that I except no responsibility for any shading, different batches or any other problem that may arise with tiles NOT supplied by me then that should put me in the clear..
And I'll put it in tiny writing like the suppliers do.......:)
andy, is a life that there are these rules.
you can write all the rules you want, but a judge will follow those described above.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
See what i mean..... always the suppliers fault. Again, if you want the supplier to do all the checking fot you, you're telling me you'd take delivery of a pallet of loose tiles?

Shading is inherent in ceramic and porcelain manufacture. You know this but what? Its not your problem???

Yeah, never the tilers fault is it. His job is to put them down and blame someone else when it goes wrong because he couldn't be arsed to do what it says on the box, what it says in british standards, what it says in the suppliers t&c's, whats common knowledge to most tilers. What makes you so special these rules don't apply to you?

Why would the supplier know any different if the batch numbers match? If you wanna fix 'em without checking, fine. But don't always expect a supplier to bail you out if you haven't followed tiling 101.

Ask us to help you out, before it becomes a problem, not after you realise you've been a special kind of dumbass!

Does no-one loose lay tiles anymore?

Rant over.
This is fine but I will bet my bottom dollar that when you supply tiles you don't explain to the customer that they should expect to pay an excess of £150-£250 for the installer to remove all tiles from boxes, lay out and check shading do you?

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you read the rules written by paul?
if you think what you do is right. then continues
if I notice a shade variation at any stage i'd stop and explain to the customer and see what they want to do no question. But my point is if you do this, who pays for your lose of time? supplier, customer or manufacturer?

I

Italy

if I notice a shade variation at any stage i'd stop and explain to the customer and see what they want to do no question. But my point is if you do this, who pays for your lose of time? supplier, customer or manufacturer?
are the risks of the job.
pose for that type of tile, the price per square meter is very high.
a key reason in my opinion is the most waste of time to set. then, if the product actually has problems, the supplier in accordance with the manufacturer, will indemnify the lost time.
that's all

I

Italy

there are also catalogs on the Internet, explain very well the product that you install and the shading relationship that can have the tile you need to install.
it is never time lost, the morning after the tiler, he already knows what to say to the customer.
unfortunately this is the future of our work, it is more time to explain and understand, that the time to do the job.

I

Italy

@ Simons70 perchè mi spii ? ;)
ho bisogno di te, come si dice: mi hai rotto i coglioni in inglese?
devo dirlo a uno, ma non sò come si scrive :)

Reply to Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks