Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss standards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

charlie1

Should you drop your standards to get more m2 out even if the lesser standard is good enough. I'm a perfectionist so i find this hard, what do you guys think? Is it a bad move? Should i drop them and keep everyone happy or do i keep them high but risk making enemies by doing so?

D

Dougs Third Go

keep 'em high, people remember a good job long after the sting of paying for it.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Should you drop your standards to get more m2 out even if the lesser standard is good enough. I'm a perfectionist so i find this hard, what do you guys think? Is it a bad move? Should i drop them and keep everyone happy or do i keep them high but risk making enemies by doing so?

Stick to your guns Mark, you can't rush perfection, plus speed comes with practice imo:thumbsup:

C

charlie1

Even when its making another pro look average? I'm not meaning to sound big headed btw but there no other way off wording it

D

DHTiling

What have you been asked to do ..?

You can only tile to one standard IMHO.. either your good or your are ruff :)

I

Ian

Always do your work to the highest standard you can achieve, it'll work better for you long term.

C

charlie1

keep 'em high, people remember a good job long after the sting of paying for it.

yes and a poor job might look nice and shiny at the start but quickly deteriorate. But this is a commercial Doug, i wont be remembered for anything, my masterpiece will stick out like a sore thumb against what I've seen so far on job.

T

Time's Ran Out

I can't believe anyone could suggest a deliberate drop in standard for whatever reason - if you are a professional you should demand the best for your customer, yourself and stuff anyone else - sorry but as you say ' there is no other way of wording it'

D

DHTiling

Cheers guys, just had to run it by a few experienced minds!

You will come across ruff substrates etc etc and chancers who want you to tile too anything , but ALWAYS do your best ... you will go far by doing just that.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
In a word Charlie 'NO'

You know the quality of the tiling when you see the jobs on here that are generally done at knock down prices!

Would you be happy keeping your prices down, what you don't want to do is to get into a p*****g contest against other tilers.

If a customer says to me X tiler can do it for this price, I tell them that either materials are inferior and not right for the job or the quality of workmanship will not be up to your required standards, or both. That is why I charge what I charge and you will get a quality job.

As Doug says people remember good quality jobs, see my signature.

C

charlie1

In a word Charlie 'NO'

You know the quality of the tiling when you see the jobs on here that are generally done at knock down prices!

Would you be happy keeping your prices down, what you don't want to do is to get into a p*****g contest against other tilers.

If a customer says to me X tiler can do it for this price, I tell them that either materials are inferior and not right for the job or the quality of workmanship will not be up to your required standards, or both. That is why I charge what I charge and you will get a quality job.

As Doug says people remember good quality jobs, see my signature.

very true john. (sig) my answer to customers comparing prices is , I'm selling a different product, works for me. Thanks again all

P

Peter

There is any amount of reasonable tilers about who can do a passable job but they're 10 a penny. No point just being another run of the mill tiler in such a flooded market.

Do see what you mean about commercial work in a squad though. If the job doesn't have to be perfect and your name's not on it, then should you give it the same attention for a fiver a metre less?

Reply to standards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks