Search the forum,

Discuss standards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

I can't believe anyone could suggest a deliberate drop in standard for whatever reason - if you are a professional you should demand the best for your customer, yourself and stuff anyone else - sorry but as you say ' there is no other way of wording it'

D

DHTiling

Cheers guys, just had to run it by a few experienced minds!

You will come across ruff substrates etc etc and chancers who want you to tile too anything , but ALWAYS do your best ... you will go far by doing just that.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
In a word Charlie 'NO'

You know the quality of the tiling when you see the jobs on here that are generally done at knock down prices!

Would you be happy keeping your prices down, what you don't want to do is to get into a p*****g contest against other tilers.

If a customer says to me X tiler can do it for this price, I tell them that either materials are inferior and not right for the job or the quality of workmanship will not be up to your required standards, or both. That is why I charge what I charge and you will get a quality job.

As Doug says people remember good quality jobs, see my signature.

C

charlie1

In a word Charlie 'NO'

You know the quality of the tiling when you see the jobs on here that are generally done at knock down prices!

Would you be happy keeping your prices down, what you don't want to do is to get into a p*****g contest against other tilers.

If a customer says to me X tiler can do it for this price, I tell them that either materials are inferior and not right for the job or the quality of workmanship will not be up to your required standards, or both. That is why I charge what I charge and you will get a quality job.

As Doug says people remember good quality jobs, see my signature.

very true john. (sig) my answer to customers comparing prices is , I'm selling a different product, works for me. Thanks again all

P

Peter

There is any amount of reasonable tilers about who can do a passable job but they're 10 a penny. No point just being another run of the mill tiler in such a flooded market.

Do see what you mean about commercial work in a squad though. If the job doesn't have to be perfect and your name's not on it, then should you give it the same attention for a fiver a metre less?

C

charlie1

There is any amount of reasonable tilers about who can do a passable job but they're 10 a penny. No point just being another run of the mill tiler in such a flooded market.

Do see what you mean about commercial work in a squad though. If the job doesn't have to be perfect and your name's not on it, then should you give it the same attention for a fiver a metre less?

you see my predicament peter. Deal seems to be same money, more area but to achieve that then less quality. I think id find it harder working rough, it would be grinding at the back of my head for whole job.

D

dave l and l

i will be honest site work is fundamentally about the coin, i have done a few site jobs mostly commercial and i have tiled really fast in order to get the metres up. when you are working faster you are bound to loose some quality however it doesnt have to be a disaster job it can still be good just not up your normal standards
i tend to stick to domestic work as you can work to the speed you want and leave the quality you want, perhaps you should chase more domestic stuff

D

Dougs Third Go

yes and a poor job might look nice and shiny at the start but quickly deteriorate. But this is a commercial Doug, i wont be remembered for anything, my masterpiece will stick out like a sore thumb against what I've seen so far on job.
it doesn't matter whether it's a millionaires house or a council house, if you start to compromise on the quality it's a slippery slope, always, always try to do the best quality job you can, if that makes fellow pro's look average then that is because that is what they are imo.

P

Peter

It goes without saying that houses need to be top notch no matter who they're for but what about 60m2 of 8x8 in pub toilets? Still can't be rough but as long as it's to a good standard then it doesn't need to be absolutely first class. You're on a price for decent work, and decent is all that's expected of you for the lower price.

D

Dougs Third Go

It goes without saying that houses need to be top notch no matter who they're for but what about 60m2 of 8x8 in pub toilets? Still can't be rough but as long as it's to a good standard then it doesn't need to be absolutely first class. You're on a price for decent work, and decent is all that's expected of you for the lower price.
I'll have to disagree with you there Pete, to my mind if there's no challenge to do your best then the pride in your work starts to fall and with it the job satisfaction,,then it becomes a drudge going to work. Of course I look back on work and think "I could've probably done that better in hindsight" but at the time I've always done what I thought would be the best i could do. Sometimes of course we're on a hiding to nothing and we feel like we're trying to polish a turd, but doing the best you can will always stand you in good stead.

Reply to standards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen