Search the forum,

Discuss standards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

I'll have to disagree with you there Pete, to my mind if there's no challenge to do your best then the pride in your work starts to fall and with it the job satisfaction,,then it becomes a drudge going to work. Of course I look back on work and think "I could've probably done that better in hindsight" but at the time I've always done what I thought would be the best i could do. Sometimes of course we're on a hiding to nothing and we feel like we're trying to polish a turd, but doing the best you can will always stand you in good stead.

Thats exactly what I do but working thru a third party can end up in tears.....

C

charlie1

In essence I'm thinking its having to apply a that will do attitude, then when my work is still acceptable i will do it more and more, don't think this work is for me tbh

A

Aston

just be you mark
set your standards high but make sure you keep up and i'm sure you'll find a level that makes you competitive and in demand ;0)

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to do a lot of commercial jobs. I've yet to ever walk into a pub toilet (or any public toilet come to that) and think they made a good job of the tiling. I could never compete on price with guys that turn out that sort of crap, yet they seem to carry on working!?!

D

dave l and l

yeah thats true they always seem to get work,
people say things like they will get found out but they dont, its the same on the domestic front idiots have been about for years and they will still be out next week earning coin.

P

Pebbs

You should never let your standards drop, its a slippery route. I run self self snagging now, and cross snagging, and the men hate it. They self snag their rooms, and then this is the killer, another tiler comes in afterwards and snags the other ones work. Then I go in and do the final snagging. This works well, and it cuts down on a long list at the end of the job.

Lynn

C

charlie1

Nice one Lynn, i could snag on any job though, i just know i could! Anyway, that sounds like you have a very good quality control there

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I try and stay away from commercial work now, personally I can't mix quality with speed, my work suffers if i go too quick. I did a resteraunt a while back, 250mtrs floor and walls. We agreed a price and time frame then the dates and other trades moved which put the pressure on me. I got the job done but if i was honest it wasn't the best work i've ever done. That said the customer was over the moon with the job. I stay away from those jobs now really.

C

charlie1

Know what you mean gamma. This type of work is not for me tbh, no pride taken!! i seen it coming from day one on the job tbh, boss starts comparing me with other tilers speed so today i had a we nosey and what i suspected was realised... Not a spirit level or notched trowel in sight!!! A pair of blob artists!!! ... Still they get the work, god, loosing faith in this work tbh, how the hell do they sleep at night knocking crap like this out?? Even blobbing, i would have thought they would get great results but poor to average at best!

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I just think that most site work is driven by number crunchers who don't give a monkeys about standards as long as it looks reasonable at best. If you continue to do that sort of work your standards are bound to drop i think. Tiny bits at first but over time who knows. I even get some residential customers who don't give a monkeys. It's a funny trade to be involved in sometimes, but i love it all the same. :hurray:

Reply to standards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen