Discuss Can you help solve conflicting advice re adhesive depth? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain.

I took them back up and spoke to AKW, who recommended I put down a 3mm bed adhesive, let it go off and then re-lay tiles on a 2mm bed applied at 90 degrees to the first one. BUT - the tiler says it's v hard to follow the profile of a tray with an adhesive spreader, and also that a thicker 5mm adhesive bed will come up and interfere with the grout.

So what to do? Feels like I can
a) instruct the tiler to lay the mosaic mats on a 5mm bed (or 3mm bed with 2mm on the mosaic mats) and hope for the best
b) Put down a 3mm bed as suggested by AKW and hope I can follow the profile evenly
or c) If what the tiler says is true about the skill needed to use a tile spreader, find some kind of 3mm mesh to guide an even application
At the moment I feel like my best bet is option b) because the tiler dislikes a) and I can't see a product that would satisfy c)...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Got any pictures of the said area?

Usually need a full bed of adhesive (so no air pockets after pressing tile down) from a thick-bed solid-bed trowel. Usually large round notches in them.

What bed thickness it leaves then though, not sure. A few mm at least so could you not just use a decent round notch trowel?

This is a special trowel to leave more adhesive down to get a good solid bed.

Reaction score
Got any pictures of the said area?

Usually need a full bed of adhesive (so no air pockets after pressing tile down) from a thick-bed solid-bed trowel. Usually large round notches in them.

What bed thickness it leaves then though, not sure. A few mm at least so could you not just use a decent round notch trowel?

This is a special trowel to leave more adhesive down to get a good solid bed.

sheeted mosaics are usually laid on a 3mm notch and flattened with a good ol squeegeeeee... sorry did not mean to quote "dan" oooppps

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Mosaic mats so sorry I missed that! That's rushing and not reading it correctly. My bad! 😃 😀 😄

Reaction score
They were bought in 2021 - laid already on three floors - this is the last piece of the puzzle. Seller was Dantotsu Tiles based in Leeds - purchase via ebay...

Reply to Can you help solve conflicting advice re adhesive depth? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks