Search the forum,

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Yes but my question is still unanswered.
At some point in the build, finished floor levels must have been discussed, were they not?
Yes I understand you'd asked them to bring floor levels to the same height, and rightly so.
Was this asked for before the doors went in?
Do you have plans, or they winging it?
I'm actually serious.
Finished floor height must be written somewhere.
Even if it's only the height that they leave it at!
What is the height of the door above the boarded floor? I know I've already asked, couldn't tell from your image. Must have something you can use as a reference.
The point I'm trying to get to is that, if they just fitted the doors as they saw fit, and not to any spec or instruction, they're wrong and should be made to change it.
If I just laid a floor with no regard to floor heights and I was too high or low, I'd be responsible for putting it right, simple as.

M

mp3wizard

I understand that it's not an ideal situation, but considering the bifolds open out, and it's just a 5mm gap, can't I just caulk it or get a strip to cover the edge?

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it is going to be higher than the threshold of the bifold doors, it's not going to look all that good if I'm honest, you could finish the edge with a metal trim but again I wouldn't be happy with that a finish. How much higher than the threshold are you going to end up?

W

WetSaw

There seems to be some confusion about what your problem actually is. If it's the tiles up to the door frame then you'd silicone it anyway.

M

mp3wizard

Well yeah I was going to use a 5mm edging strip and tile up to it, so the only issue will be that the finish floor level will probably be where the red line is on the pic, the doors open out, so that is it really.

door.jpg

T

Tile Shop

That last wooden board up against the door, what are the dimensions of it? does the near edge line up directly with the corner of the wall (bottom right of the pic)? and can you unscrew it, lift it up and show us whats beneath?

I'm wondering if it can slope down to the door to a small degree by chiselling down whatever is under it, bracing it, screwing it back down, then tile/insulation joints sitting directly above the joint in the board and fill with colour matching silicone to cater for possible movement?

Not seen it done before but could be a realistic possibility....... couldn't it?

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen