Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I wonder if I will win the lottery?

OP
M

mp3wizard

i ended up spacing it out a bit more in the end, not ideal but I got the small covering in the bathroom which I wanted, kept all wires away from each other at least 50mm and no crossovers, so should be ok hopefully. SLC will go down tomorrow hopefully.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

OP
M

mp3wizard

So my brother and I put down the compound, used all 8 bags, it wasn't enough, I had to go out and buy an additional 5, used the spiked roller, tried to use the trowel as little as possible. so I have covered 70% of the surface i'd say, it was definitely difficult trying to keep it level, I found the sticky https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ came off a bit whilst rolling, and by using the spiked roller, quite a few threads of the mat came off, but I don't believe any wires came lose or moved too much. unfortunately the cold tail lead is sticking up a bit, and also the powerleads are still above the service here and there, i'm planning to do the rest of slc tomorrow, a couple of areas I can see that the electric wires aren't so covered as others, but i'll just have to do what I can tomorrow. i'm feeling average about things, I don't think it was a complete disaster but it definitely wasn't as perfect as i'd hoped.

OP
M

mp3wizard

before everyone jumps on me for speaking like that, lets not forget this is a chap who has contributed 3 times to the thread, each time with nothing but negativity and contempt. I obviously have listened to advice as initially I was going to tile straight over the heating mats with no insulation, so I have done my best so far.

Yes I accept things didn't go to plan today, but what I need now is constructive advice for how to try and resolve tomorrow, not someone with a told you so attitude waiting to pounce on my every mistake.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear this but, I think you need to pay someone to come in and at least sort the slc, it's a bit of an art form to get perfect dispute the name it doesn't just self level, and your going to be attempting to put large format tiles on this, of the floor isn't right you will have NO chance of getting a good finish. I still agree with early comments about getting someone in to do the whole job, you aren't going to do that. Bit I would really consider paying someone for this bit at least because of the prep isn't right the tiles won't be, regardless of who you are, pro or not

OP
M

mp3wizard

so tomorrow what if I attempt to do the rest, and I can put a bit more of the slc on the areas that are too thin?

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes you can, you can go over the whole floor again with another coat, SLC over ufh matts is even more difficult as the wires and matting can float and drag levels off, but please do take head of the words that if the prep isn't right, or the floor isn't flat and level before you start laying tiles then you don't have any chance with tiles this big

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock