Discuss Split face tile on plaster render behind log burner adhesive in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall.
I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the plaster and then use Vitcas heat resistant tile adhesive.
Tiles are about 23kg/sqm - planning to sit the tiles on the hearth though assume the adhesive holds the tile weight once set?
Not planning to allow any expansion as the split face tiles aren’t grouted so have a bit of expansion room…?
Does this sound right? Any pointers gratefully received. Need to do this on the weekend before the log burner is installed on Monday.
Thanks…

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Use a good cement based adhesive. It might require something that'll handle the heat. You would probably get away with standard cement based in the real world and at worse case one pop off and need refixing.

As above Leave it a while. Although the adhesive will 'cure' (not dry) after even a couple of hours, moisture heating will expand and make them pop so Leave it a while for moisture to make its way out.

Leave 3mm grout joint and grout it. Use a good cement based flexible grout. Worse case you see a small crack one day and a quick grout top up should sort it.

And take pictures for us please? We love a picture or two in a thread. :)

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
A lot of new log burners don’t emit high temperatures externally via the flue and the burner it’s self as they are a lot better insulated . But it is better to use fire cement than standard adhesive as it can withstand higher temps . Make sure you fully embed as split faced tiles are only glued together at the edges and you don’t want de-bonding.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.
I have now bought Vitcas heat resistant adhesive.
Good shout about the voids thanks - I’m thinking of a 6mm notched spreader then smooth it out to remove the voids.
These tiles don’t get grouted as they just butt up to each other with some rustic gaps so hopefully there’s a bit of built in expansion.
A completion photo may follow if it turns out ok Dan, otherwise it’ll be a pic of me covered in tile adhesive weeping in the corner…😀

Reply to Split face tile on plaster render behind log burner adhesive in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks