Currently reading:
abusive customer

Discuss abusive customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Spoken to the janny, he hung up when realised it was me!
Spoken to the boss, he said he's unsure what's happening as he was not in last week (bull) but he said he would let me know when tiles arrive (still apparently happy for me to do job)! Here what I suspect....
They have someone else in doing job and prob even using my tools so going up there 1st thing tomorrow morning to investigate!

If I find they are doing job themselves with my tools and materials etc I will go mental! Now, I k.ow you can't just go in ans start smashing up tiles but as I've not yet been put off job , what if I decide to lift my tiles on the basis that I'm not happy with them? Where would I stand with that?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I think the key thing here is getting your tools back. There's a clear break down between you and the "employer?". The only thing you can be certain of is the tools belong to you. I wouldn't leave them there a minute longer.

If they've got someone else to fix the tiles and not told you you they've arrived i don't think there's a lot you can do there either. Unless you've been contracted to do it. I always do residential work so i'm finding it difficult to advise you. But when i present a quote to a customer, it's presented in writing and if accepted i give the customer two copies and ask him/her to sign one of them. As far as i'm then concerned that signature is agreement that I will do the job. I then take deposits etc to ensure i have their commitment with me.

If i had gone through this and then my customer broke that "contract" they'd recieve a bill for lose of earnings. At the very least, what i'd do in your case is go and collect my tools and then send them a bill for what i believe i'm owed. After what you've experienced with this job i think i'd write it off to experience. Send them a bill for sevices rendered. If they fail to pay go down the small claims route.

But definately, definately go and get your tools. Take some pictures of the work you've carried out so far as well if you haven't already done so.

C

charlie1

IMAG0169.jpg

Here a pic of work I've done, all these tiles I had to hack the adhesive off then reset!

C

charlie1

Ok, tiles have arrived on site, they are not the same, they are 2mm larger than the original ones! The guy in question assured me they where identical in colour and size hence why I relayed 10 m2 of the original tiles. I have used 5mm grout line with these but even at that u can't see how I can continue with this, think they will all need to come back up...can I have opinions please?

B

bugs183

The whole thing sounds like 'one of those jobs', they start off bad and just get worse.
I'd pull off site, as the materials they have supplied are not fit for purpose.
Send a bill to the boss and explain why you have left, tell him what you would need to do to resolve the problem, which is payment for work done, then payment for the total up lift of the tiles and then fixing of a new batch of the correct quantity from one batch.
Then just see what happens, my guess is that you may have to take a hit on this one matey.
In which case at least you've not given them any more time.

I would have mentioned a long time ago that its more than likely if your are ripping tiles up to clean and stick back down your batch and shade numbers wont match. This is something I always stick with and it saves having to clean tiles. I also have learned face to face works best, sack your texting, phoning etc, caller ID is a ***** and people can just hang up on you once they know its you on witheld.

Take your money and run, or take control of the situation, you are the tiler, you know how it goes, I do the same with old walls, they need skimmed or they need pulled down and reboarded with the correct material. Its so much quicker and leads to a better finish.

GOOD LUCK !

C

charlie1

I would have mentioned a long time ago that its more than likely if your are ripping tiles up to clean and stick back down your batch and shade numbers wont match. This is something I always stick with and it saves having to clean tiles. I also have learned face to face works best, sack your texting, phoning etc, caller ID is a ***** and people can just hang up on you once they know its you on witheld.

Take your money and run, or take control of the situation, you are the tiler, you know how it goes, I do the same with old walls, they need skimmed or they need pulled down and reboarded with the correct material. Its so much quicker and leads to a better finish.

GOOD LUCK !

I know what you mean about the texting as have had jobs cancelled via text!

Invoice has been sent recorded delivery so I now wait on payment

Reply to abusive customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.