Search the forum,

Discuss 53m floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

So by that rationale, a tyre shop who needs 10 tyres fitted a day @£7.50
To make his overheads who in fact is actually doing 20 and makes twice his money @£150.
Does he then cut his price by 50% cos he only needs £75 a day?
And then works twice as hard for the same money!
Doubt it, do you? Haha
No he just packs up and goes fishing at lunchtime :)
Unfair analogy really, what's a tire bay or any other retail outlet got to do with domestic tiling. I often tell my customers when they wince when I say ill do it on dayrate instead of a price that it will nearly always work out better value for them in the end. I get quite a lot of floors, but also quite a lot of splashbacks, I'm happy earning my dayrate for everything...oh and probably earn another £40 a day in materials on a decent floor ;)

J

J Sid

So does going in at £140 a day makes me less of a professional then? If anything that means ill take my time and get it spot on instead of thinking..sh#t its Monday lunchtime already and all ive done is prime the floor and ain't earnt a penny yet.
far to cheap Andy, and us so call professionals don't think like that ;) I'm doing 200 Mt at the moment, day to clean, prime and set out and another day loading out 7 pallets of stone before I start earning:( all aloud for in my meter price

I

Italy

So does going in at £140 a day makes me less of a professional then? If anything that means ill take my time and get it spot on instead of thinking..sh#t its Monday lunchtime already and all ive done is prime the floor and ain't earnt a penny yet.
So does going in at £140 a day makes me less of a professional then?
I think yes. I agree with marc, small jobs, not constant, imply much waste of time.
but I do not know, in the uk, the geographical areas prices. I could be wrong. ;)

O

Old Mod

I think yes. I agree with marc, small jobs, not constant, imply much waste of time.
but I do not know, in the uk, the geographical areas prices. I could be wrong. ;)
Yes prices vary around uk Antonio, but principles remain the same.
Do you not think that is true?

S

Spare Tool

far to cheap Andy, and us so call professionals don't think like that ;) I'm doing 200 Mt at the moment, day to clean, prime and set out and another day loading out 7 pallets of stone before I start earning:( all aloud for in my meter price
"I'm too cheap" ...bit much coming from someone that works seven days a week ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

That's not really the point tho Andy personally speaking. Doing that job for £700 he could get all day long from a cowboy/chancer or however you want to put it. The point is you're a professional and for that there should be a minimum charge, for a minimum standard of finish.
Just my opinion tho.

That's a bit insulting to many professional tilers out there who are not fortunate to be working in areas of no skilled tradesmen like the south! It's the typical north/south flat cap attitude that so many don't get, but in certain areas, like Newcastle, we have 15 major tile distributors/sheds in a 10 mile radius and a major tile training centre. So you would expect the competition for work is keen. It has NOTHING to do with a minimum standard of finish, it is just simply economics.
We did a Norman Tebbit a few years ago ( got on our bikes to find work) and now do a bit of work down there, so I'am aware of the regional variation in wages. But these threads that promote - how big is my wedge - is as bad as - how much is my house worth!
Earn a wage your happy with and stay ahead - be happy in what you do.

Reply to 53m floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen