Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss 53m floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spare Tool

far to cheap Andy, and us so call professionals don't think like that ;) I'm doing 200 Mt at the moment, day to clean, prime and set out and another day loading out 7 pallets of stone before I start earning:( all aloud for in my meter price
"I'm too cheap" ...bit much coming from someone that works seven days a week ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

That's not really the point tho Andy personally speaking. Doing that job for £700 he could get all day long from a cowboy/chancer or however you want to put it. The point is you're a professional and for that there should be a minimum charge, for a minimum standard of finish.
Just my opinion tho.

That's a bit insulting to many professional tilers out there who are not fortunate to be working in areas of no skilled tradesmen like the south! It's the typical north/south flat cap attitude that so many don't get, but in certain areas, like Newcastle, we have 15 major tile distributors/sheds in a 10 mile radius and a major tile training centre. So you would expect the competition for work is keen. It has NOTHING to do with a minimum standard of finish, it is just simply economics.
We did a Norman Tebbit a few years ago ( got on our bikes to find work) and now do a bit of work down there, so I'am aware of the regional variation in wages. But these threads that promote - how big is my wedge - is as bad as - how much is my house worth!
Earn a wage your happy with and stay ahead - be happy in what you do.

O

Old Mod

It's got NOTHING to do with 'how big is my wedge'
and you damn well know it!
Insulting!.......Me???!
You should look in the mirror before accusing me of being insulting!
You telling me that £13.72 m2 is a fair price are you?

F

Flintstone

It's nothing to do with that timeless, I simply asked opinions on a reasonable price, if you want to price jobs up on rates comparable to commercial rates then that's up to you but some of us know our worth. I'm in Yorkshire by the way not Monte Carlo

T

Time's Ran Out

It's got NOTHING to do with 'how big is my wedge'
and you damn well know it!
Insulting!.......Me???!
You should look in the mirror before accusing me of being insulting!
You telling me that £13.72 m2 is a fair price are you?

Read your own post in this thread before you call me Marc!
It's £700 for a weeks work- you compared a member a cowboy / chancer for working for that.
Everyone should be able to have an opinion without your personal attacks.
You've got the information at your fingertips - show me an insult and I'll leave!

W

WetSaw

Ahh the joys of self employment! I'd love to be able to earn £700 a week!!! I've never been bothered by how much other people earn, that's their business.
I can honesty say that I'm earning less now and working harder/ longer than I ever have but my life is stress free and I have what I need to live.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just lost a big job because the client don't want to pay the expansion joints(around 100 lm).
Email me:

-''With the premium rate quoted and accepted of £25m2 to install tiles I would have deemed included. Prior to you starting Hilton project we discussed going rates of £18-£22m2 for tile installation.I will try to get down to site myself to discuss with you a possible full store refurb to a Debenhams we are hopeful of receiving order not too far from where you are based. Thousands of metre squared tiling.''

My answer was:
-We agree 25 £ x mp,maybe for you is premium rate,for us is discounted.I quote for fix tiles 25£,fix tiles not include anything else.Please check the quote agreed by you''
Better stay away of clients who want to pay less but want top work,no dust,no noises,no rubbish.For this need Harry Potter no tiler.

F

Flintstone

Working on a day rate is just that. But in this instance the customer isn't paying my daily wage, they are paying x amount for a job to be carried out.

O

One Day

Do we wish there was a national guide price for professional tiling?
Would that help with the "discussion" here and maintain standards as well as earnings?

O

One Day

Personally - I love the feeling of coming away from a job well done (with a happy customer) and knowing that I have just earned the equivalent of 250-350 a day because I got it right.

Other times of course - I get it wrong - and come away with a much lesser equivalent day rate.

The ups and downs keep it interesting for me.

But - equally, I respect those who for reasons of keeping it simple/consistant - whatever - are happy to deal with daily rates, full stop.

In a capitalistic free market, if you're good - you'll survive. Irrespective of what the tiler in the next street / town / county may or may not be doing.

Reply to 53m floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks