Search the forum,

Discuss 53m floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

No mats! They have 10 bags of tilemaster rapid there, I told them they need 17 bags.
I told him I often charge £30 a meter labour only so it was already a bit cheaper. I also told him I'm not the cheapest but he will have a perfect job. He will get some spot fixer in I'm sure

S

Spare Tool

This is the reason I hate sqm pricing, day rate all day every day for me. To be fair from how you've described the job you could probably knock the main area off in 5 days so at my day rate id be in at £700 lab only.

O

Old Mod

This is the reason I hate sqm pricing, day rate all day every day for me. To be fair from how you've described the job you could probably knock the main area off in 5 days so at my day rate id be in at £700 lab only.
That's not really the point tho Andy personally speaking. Doing that job for £700 he could get all day long from a cowboy/chancer or however you want to put it. The point is you're a professional and for that there should be a minimum charge, for a minimum standard of finish.
Just my opinion tho.

S

Spare Tool

That's not really the point tho Andy personally speaking. Doing that job for £700 he could get all day long from a cowboy/chancer or however you want to put it. The point is you're a professional and for that there should be a minimum charge, for a minimum standard of finish.
Just my opinion tho.
So does going in at £140 a day makes me less of a professional then? If anything that means ill take my time and get it spot on instead of thinking..sh#t its Monday lunchtime already and all ive done is prime the floor and ain't earnt a penny yet.

F

Flintstone

I thought that the main area would be 5 days, then back for 1 day to do the small room which is about 5m for one day when it's ready.
Yes £1100 for the week is more than usual but I would also be laying about twice as many tiles as usual!

F

Flintstone

Day rate would equal terrible £ per m, probably similar to what Crap site tilers get per m for throwing em on

S

Spare Tool

I thought that the main area would be 5 days, then back for 1 day to do the small room which is about 5m for one day when it's ready.
Yes £1100 for the week is more than usual but I would also be laying about twice as many tiles as usual!
That's my point though..6 days for £1250, thats putting you on over £200 a day, no wonder they thought it was expensive, for a nice flat floor it sounds easy money!!

O

Old Mod

So does going in at £140 a day makes me less of a professional then? If anything that means ill take my time and get it spot on instead of thinking..sh#t its Monday lunchtime already and all ive done is prime the floor and ain't earnt a penny yet.
I'm not having a pop Andy mate, you charge what you like, it doesn't effect me!
But it does harm you, imo, not only are you selling yourself short but your driving down prices within your client base which makes it harder for you.
As local says it's twice as much work, just cos you CAN do something, don't always mean you should.
If you were on a never ending commercial project of a few hundred houses, ok, continual work, steady income, no problem.
But it's not, it's probably a one off client, and the idea of charging a certain amount is so that you can cope with leaner times. Supposing you had no work to follow for two weeks, what then?
I'm not directing this at you personally mate cos I know you stay steady with work, but maybe one day you won't be.
I'm not saying you should rip the arse out of it either, but £13.72 a metre for 600 x 600 porc!!
You'd get more than that contract tiling ffs!

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

That's my point though..6 days for £1250, thats putting you on over £200 a day, no wonder they thought it was expensive, for a nice flat floor it sounds easy money!!
So by that rationale, a tyre shop who needs 10 tyres fitted a day @£7.50
To make his overheads who in fact is actually doing 20 and makes twice his money @£150.
Does he then cut his price by 50% cos he only needs £75 a day?
And then works twice as hard for the same money!
Doubt it, do you? Haha

F

Flintstone

I see where you are both coming from and and depending on the job, I follow either train of thought, but this is just a one off client, and £25 per m is a fair price so that's that really. I wouldn't fit cheap white ceramics in a bathroom for 13 a meter so why should I fix large porcelain in a big expensive kitchen for 13 a Meter

Reply to 53m floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen