Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss The best primer and Adhesive for anhydrite screed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jase-tiler

Hi, I have a 60sqm floor to lay on Anhydrite screed, I am using 800mm x 800mm porcelain tiles and Ditra matting.
What is the best primer to use, and adhesive to fix Ditra matting.
And finally what is the best adhesive to bed the tile with.
[h=1][/h]

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Use an anhydrite compatible adhesive. Here's a list of manufacturers, although it's not exhaustive, and the primer from the same manufacturer to fix the ditra. On top of it you can use your usual flexible cement based adhesive. Also a flowchart that helps you ensure all the steps are followed

Broken Link Removed

[DLMURL]http://gypsol.co.uk/media/1170/guide-sheet-4-flooring-flowchart.pdf[/DLMURL]

Don't forget you might need a movement joint or two in an area that big.

ring me if you need any other advice 07966651006

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sean SML Tiling

I've just finished an anhydrite screed and I used tiles master anhyfix with their prime plus. I'd reccomend anhyfix to fix ditra then use time master setaflex (slowset) to fix the tiles to ditra.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm not supposed advertise specifics but I was I would say the same...

J

Jase-tiler

Thanks for the advice I will follow it.
Also what is the process involved installing a movement joint?

S

Stef

I've done quite a few anhydrite screeds now & everyone I've done I've used TileMaster AnhyFix.
I've not fitted Ditra on top but if I was I would be using the exact same process as above.
If there's a movement join in the substrate then follow that through the tiles, either fit a movement join or do it yourself.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Stefs do you ever leave grout line out and silicone it to allow more expansion

S

Stef

I've only ever done it once on an anhydrite screed, had to break it over the door threshold as it was showing a very small crack & didn't want to take the risk.
I would pick a calcium sulphate screed over any other now as there's no hassle tiling to them.

S

Stef

Meant to say, it's funny how quick you get used to these screeds.
Looked at a job last week, 4 floors, 2 downstairs on top of a Gyvlon screed.
Speaking to the builder & he was convinced it was a cement based screed till I showed him what needs done to it.
I think he was a but dubious what I was telling him, got a phone call a few days later to say that everything I had told him was exactly what the screed guy told him.
Only problem I picked up was that the screed guy told him it was 1mm per day drying time, I had to explain that that information only goes to 40mm then it's 1mm every 2 days.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You will rarely see movement joints in anhydrite. However if the tile face needs a joint e.g. Large bays, door thresholds, etc this these should be installed regardless of whether or not you see a joint in the screed. Sometimes the joints are not required in the screed and sometimes they are just beneath the surface of the screed so you can't see them. Not ideal I know but it is the best way for the screeders.

S

Stef

Alan, I actually quoted you to the builder & was going to pass on your number to him as I knew you would verify what I was explaining to him.
Thankfully it never got to that stage as I know him & he knows what I'm like when it comes to anything tile related.

S

Sean SML Tiling

You will rarely see movement joints in anhydrite. However if the tile face needs a joint e.g. Large bays, door thresholds, etc this these should be installed regardless of whether or not you see a joint in the screed. Sometimes the joints are not required in the screed and sometimes they are just beneath the surface of the screed so you can't see them. Not ideal I know but it is the best way for the screeders.
When separating the floors in bays is it ok to use a 3mm silicone joint as a movement joint?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When separating the floors in bays is it ok to use a 3mm silicone joint as a movement joint?

Yes that's ok provided the floor doesn't expand by. More than about 2mm. Movement joints though are usually 5mm in my experience

S

Sean SML Tiling

Ok on anhydrite screed 80mts and I've separated the floor 6 bays as there is 6 uhf zones. Customer didn't want industrial joints and went for silicone.

Reply to The best primer and Adhesive for anhydrite screed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks